Calculating Energy from Mass Using E=mc²

In summary, the answer to this question is that 1.7 * 10 ^ 12 joules are produced when 1 gram of deuterium and 1 gram of tungsten react.
ElegantSir

Homework Statement

I have the question with a diagram posted in the thumbnail to make things easier.

Homework Equations

E = mc²

The Attempt at a Solution

The homework only had a single example for a question like this so I am not 100% sure how to get the answer. So far I've added the 2 masses:
5.030151g and 5.011267g

Then I subtracted them both 5.030151 – 5.011267 = 0.018884g

Here is where I am stuck. I know that from the example I need to do something like 1.8884 * 10^(input some number here) but I have no clue how to get the number that it should be to the power to. All I know is after this I need to multiply 1.8884 * 10 ^ (?) by 3.8 * 10 ^ 8 to calculate the total amount of energy produced using E = mc²

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
ElegantSir said:

Homework Statement

I have the question with a diagram posted in the thumbnail to make things easier.

Homework Equations

E = mc²

The Attempt at a Solution

The homework only had a single example for a question like this so I am not 100% sure how to get the answer. So far I've added the 2 masses:
5.030151g and 5.011267g

Then I subtracted them both 5.030151 – 5.011267 = 0.018884g

Here is where I am stuck. I know that from the example I need to do something like 1.8884 * 10^(input some number here) but I have no clue how to get the number that it should be to the power to. All I know is after this I need to multiply 1.8884 * 10 ^ (?) by 3.8 * 10 ^ 8 to calculate the total amount of energy produced using E = mc²
Why are you assuming that the masses of the elements reacting are not in grams?

I think you are assuming, based on the wording of the question, that only 1 atom of D and T react, but that need not be the case. Only the ratios of the reactants matter.

Also, units should be carefully scrutinized here. If you take c in m/s, what mass units must you use in order to calculate energy in joules?

SteamKing said:
Why are you assuming that the masses of the elements reacting are not in grams?

I think you are assuming, based on the wording of the question, that only 1 atom of D and T react, but that need not be the case. Only the ratios of the reactants matter.

Also, units should be carefully scrutinized here. If you take c in m/s, what mass units must you use in order to calculate energy in joules?
Im not quite sure what you mean by all of that. I assume you mean I need to convert grams to a different unit of measurement but I am not sure what. Also what do you mean by
"I think you are assuming, based on the wording of the question, that only 1 atom of D and T react?"

ElegantSir said:
Im not quite sure what you mean by all of that. I assume you mean I need to convert grams to a different unit of measurement but I am not sure what.

Well, joules are the SI units of energy. Joules are also derived units. What is the definition of a joule?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule

Also what do you mean by
"I think you are assuming, based on the wording of the question, that only 1 atom of D and T react?"

It's obvious that 1 atom of deuterium does not have a mass of 2.014102 g, but a certain number of deuterium atoms does have this total mass. Ever heard of a fellow by the name of Avogadro?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avogadro_constant

If you're going to study physics, you've got to study units and understand how units are useful in deciphering physics problems.

SteamKing said:
Well, joules are the SI units of energy. Joules are also derived units. What is the definition of a joule?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule
It's obvious that 1 atom of deuterium does not have a mass of 2.014102 g, but a certain number of deuterium atoms does have this total mass. Ever heard of a fellow by the name of Avogadro?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avogadro_constant

If you're going to study physics, you've got to study units and understand how units are useful in deciphering physics problems.
Ahh I see where I went wrong. The example

Ahh I see where I went wrong. The example questions like to use numbers like 1.9 * 10^-4 rather than use the actual whole number so I got confused.

I would need to convert grams to kilograms which would mean the number would now become: 1.8884 * 10^-5
Now I plug it into E = mc^2 and get:

E = 1.8884 * 10^-5 * (3 * 10^8)^2
E = 1.7 * 10 ^ 12 (rounded of course)

Im assuming this is the correct answer now?

ElegantSir said:
Ahh I see where I went wrong. The example questions like to use numbers like 1.9 * 10^-4 rather than use the actual whole number so I got confused.

I would need to convert grams to kilograms which would mean the number would now become: 1.8884 * 10^-5
Now I plug it into E = mc^2 and get:

E = 1.8884 * 10^-5 * (3 * 10^8)^2
E = 1.7 * 10 ^ 12 (rounded of course)

Im assuming this is the correct answer now?
Always include the units in your calculation results. That's a habit you should acquire now.

SteamKing said:
Always include the units in your calculation results. That's a habit you should acquire now.
Ahh yes it would be in Joules...Thanks for the help!

1. What is the nucleus and why is it important?

The nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains protons and neutrons. It is important because it holds the majority of an atom's mass and determines its chemical properties.

2. How does radioactivity occur?

Radioactivity occurs when an unstable nucleus emits particles or energy in order to become more stable. This process is known as radioactive decay.

3. What are the three types of radioactive decay?

The three types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons), beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle (an electron or positron), and gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray (high-energy electromagnetic radiation).

4. What is the half-life of a radioactive element?

The half-life of a radioactive element is the amount of time it takes for half of a sample of the element to decay into a more stable form. This time period is constant for each radioactive element and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

5. How is radioactivity used in everyday life?

Radioactivity is used in various ways in everyday life, such as in medical treatments, smoke detectors, and power generation. It is also used in scientific research and carbon dating to determine the age of objects.