Calculating enthelpies of combustion from a bomb calorimeter?

In summary, when calculating enthalpy of formation, make sure to carefully consider the balanced equation and take into account any coefficients that may affect your calculations. Double checking your work and ensuring consistency in units is also important for accurate calculations.
crimsonn

Homework Statement

A sample of K (s) of mass 2.740g undergoes combustion in a constant volume calorimeter at 298.15K . The calorimeter constant is 1849 J/K , and the measured temperature rise in the inner water bath containing 1450 of water is 1.60K
Calculate the enthalpy of formation for K2O

Homework Equations

ΔH(combustion) = C(cal)ΔT +nC(H2O)ΔT

n= # of moles

The Attempt at a Solution

I pretty much know already how to do this problem and I've worked it out fully (I figured out the enthalpy of combustion and then divided by the number of moles of K I had), but I realized my answer was off by a factor of two.

Is this because the balanced equation is 2K + (1/2) O2 ----> K2O
and it takes two moles of potassium to make a mole of K2O?

I'm just unsure of when I should have taken the factor of two into account (assuming that my reasoning is correct)

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to always double check your work and make sure your calculations are accurate. In this case, your reasoning is correct. The balanced equation does show that it takes two moles of potassium to make one mole of K2O. Therefore, when calculating the enthalpy of formation for K2O, you should have divided the enthalpy of combustion by two, not the number of moles of K.

To avoid making this mistake in the future, always make sure to carefully examine the balanced equation and take into account any coefficients that may affect your calculations. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent throughout the calculation.

1. How does a bomb calorimeter work?

A bomb calorimeter is a device used to measure the enthalpy of combustion of a substance. It works by combusting a sample of the substance in an enclosed chamber, surrounded by water. The heat released from the combustion raises the temperature of the water, which is then used to calculate the enthalpy of combustion.

2. What is the purpose of calculating enthalpies of combustion?

The enthalpy of combustion is a measure of the energy released when a substance is burned. It is important in understanding the energy content of various fuels and can be used to compare the efficiency of different fuel sources.

3. How is the enthalpy of combustion calculated from a bomb calorimeter?

The enthalpy of combustion is calculated by measuring the change in temperature of the water in the bomb calorimeter and using the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat released, m is the mass of the water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This value is then divided by the mass of the substance combusted to obtain the enthalpy of combustion.

4. Can the enthalpy of combustion be negative?

Yes, the enthalpy of combustion can be negative if the reaction releases more energy than it consumes. This is often the case for highly exothermic reactions, such as the combustion of hydrocarbons.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of enthalpy of combustion calculations?

The accuracy of enthalpy of combustion calculations can be affected by factors such as incomplete combustion, heat losses to the surroundings, and impurities in the sample. It is important to carefully control the conditions in the bomb calorimeter and account for any sources of error in order to obtain accurate results.