Why is this calculation of the enthelpy of combustion wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat transferred to a calorimeter and the enthalpy of combustion for a sample of octane. The heat transferred to the calorimeter is correctly determined using the given equations. However, the heat of combustion is defined as the change in enthalpy per mole, so it is necessary to divide the change in enthalpy by the number of moles to get the correct answer. The correct interpretation of the sign for the heat of combustion is also discussed.
Buffu

Homework Statement

A 1.250 g sample of ##C_8H_18## is burnt with excess oxygen in a bomb calorimeter. Change in temperature is from 294.05 K to 300.78 K. If heat capacity of the calorimeter is 8.93 kJ/K. Find the heat transferred to the calorimeter. Also calculate the enthalpy of combustion of the sample of octane.

Homework Equations

##q_v = \triangle U = C \times \triangle T##
##\triangle H = \triangle U + \triangle n_{(g)}RT##
##C_8H_{18} (s) + {25\over 2}O_2 \longrightarrow 8CO_2(g) + 9H_2O(l)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the first equation to find ##q_{transferred}= (300.78 - 294.05) \times 8.93 J = 60.1 kJ##
Since combustion is exothermic, Thus ##q_{transferred} = 60.1 kJ##.

Since this reaction is carried the volume is constant but pressure isn't.

Since ##-q_{transferred} = \triangle U = -60.1 kJ##
Now enthalpy of combustion is ##\triangle H = \triangle U + \triangle n_{(g)}RT##

##\triangle n_{(g)} = (8 - 12.5) \times {1.25 \over 114}##

Since ##-q_{transferred} = \triangle U = -60.1 J## for exothermic reactions

##\therefore \triangle H = -60.1 + 8.314 \times 294.05 \times (8 - 12.5) \times {1.25 \over 114} \times 10^{-3}##
Which i got from calculator as ##-60.221 kJ##.

Now my second answer is incorrect.

In the solution ##\triangle U## is taken positive and ##\triangle_{combustion} H = {\triangle U \over \text{number of moles}}##

I don't understand the reasoning behind taking ##\triangle U## positive as combustion is exothermic and thus heat is evolved, which by convention means that we need to get -ve sign in the answer.
For ##\triangle H## calculation by the author, I don't even have a clue how they did that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you say that you got the heat transferred to the calorimeter correct?

Likes Buffu
Chestermiller said:
Did you say that you got the heat transferred to the calorimeter correct?

Yes as per the book. I think it should be -ve but, I am not sure.

Buffu said:
Yes as per the book. I think it should be -ve but, I am not sure.
Well, the heat transferred to the calorimeter is positive. The heat transferred to the reaction mixture is negative.

You correctly determined the change in enthalpy of the reaction mixture in the experiment. But, the heat of combustion, is defined as the change in enthalpy per mole. So you need to divide by the number of moles to get the heat of combustion. And, your interpretations regarding sign of the heat of combustion as minus the enthalpy change are correct.

Likes Buffu
Chestermiller said:
Well, the heat transferred to the calorimeter is positive. The heat transferred to the reaction mixture is negative.

You correctly determined the change in enthalpy of the reaction mixture in the experiment. But, the heat of combustion, is defined as the change in enthalpy per mole. So you need to divide by the number of moles to get the heat of combustion. And, your interpretations regarding sign of the heat of combustion as minus the enthalpy change are correct.

So all I need to do is ##-60.221\over ({1.25 \over 114})## to get the correct answer.
Thank you very much.

1. Why is the enthalpy of combustion calculation wrong?

The enthalpy of combustion calculation may be wrong due to errors in the measurement of reactants and products, inaccuracies in the heat of formation values, or incomplete understanding of the chemical reaction taking place.

2. How can I check if my enthalpy of combustion calculation is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your calculation by comparing it to known values in literature or by using multiple methods to calculate the enthalpy of combustion and comparing the results.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the enthalpy of combustion calculation?

The accuracy of the enthalpy of combustion calculation can be affected by experimental errors, uncertainties in data, and assumptions made during the calculation process.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the enthalpy of combustion?

Yes, the enthalpy of combustion can be calculated using the formula: ΔH°comb = ΣΔH°f(products) - ΣΔH°f(reactants), where ΔH°comb is the enthalpy of combustion, and ΣΔH°f is the sum of the standard heat of formation values.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my enthalpy of combustion calculation?

To improve the accuracy of your enthalpy of combustion calculation, ensure accurate measurements of reactants and products, use reliable and precise heat of formation values, and carefully consider the chemical reaction taking place. Additionally, using multiple methods and comparing the results can help identify any errors or issues in the calculation.