Calculating error on averages with uncertainties in meas.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the average and net uncertainty of 3 measurements with their own uncertainties. The formula for calculating the uncertainty of the mean is mentioned and the idea of propagating the uncertainty of each measurement is brought up. However, it is noted that this does not fully account for the uncertainty of each measurement. The concept of heteroscedasticity is also mentioned and it is suggested to weight the measurements based on reliability in order to find the mean. A crude way of doing this is also mentioned.
Adoniram
Let's say I take 3 measurements, and each measurement has its own uncertainty:

M1 = 10 ± 1
M2 = 9 ± 2
M3 = 11 ± 3

I want to quote the average, and the net uncertainty. I understand that the uncertainty of the mean is:
(Range)/(2*√N) where there are N measurements. So:
(11 - 9)/(2*√3) = 1/√3
which is taken from a textbook I have that explains the use of the extra "2" for small measurement sets.

However, this does not propagate the uncertainty of each measurement... Since the average is a sum of each measurement (over 3), I would think the propagated uncertainty would be:
δMavg = √(δM12+δM22+δM22)/3
or
δMavg = √(14)/3

So... is my total error:
δMerr = (1/√3) + √(14)/3 ≈ 1.82
?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an example of heteroscedasticity (q.v.).
The measurements should be weighted according to reliability in order to find the mean.
A crude way is to replicate them in inverse proportion to the error range, so you could average 6 copies of M1, 3 of M2 and one of M3.

1. How do you calculate error on an average with uncertainties in measurements?

To calculate the error on an average with uncertainties in measurements, you first need to find the standard deviation of the measurements. Then, you can use the formula: error on average = (standard deviation of measurements) / √(number of measurements). This will give you the error on the average with uncertainties taken into account.

2. What is the significance of calculating error on averages with uncertainties in measurements?

Calculating error on averages with uncertainties in measurements is important because it helps to account for the variability and imprecision in the measurements. This allows for a more accurate representation of the true average and provides a measure of the reliability of the results.

3. Can you have a negative error on an average?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative error on an average. This means that the average of the measurements is lower than the true average. It can occur when there is a systematic error in the measurements or when there are a large number of outliers that pull the average down.

4. How do you interpret the error on an average with uncertainties in measurements?

The error on an average with uncertainties in measurements can be interpreted as the range within which the true average is likely to fall. For example, if the average is 10 with an error of ±2, it means that the true average is likely to be between 8 and 12.

5. Is there a difference between error and uncertainty in measurements?

Yes, there is a difference between error and uncertainty in measurements. Error refers to the difference between the measured value and the true value, while uncertainty refers to the range of values within which the true value is likely to fall. Error is a fixed value, while uncertainty is a range of values that takes into account the precision and accuracy of the measurements.