Calculating Exhuast Flow for Fume hoods and BSC

• Thread starter tj00343
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bsc Flow
In summary, the speaker is struggling to calculate the required exhaust flow for fume hoods in a lab as part of a university project. They mention limited knowledge of the lab processes and difficulties finding specific information in the ASHRAE Laboratory Design Guide. They ask for any insight on the topic. The response suggests selecting the hood based on size and using the standard full-flow airflow of 105 fpm.
tj00343
Hey guys,
I'm doing a university project where I am designing the hvac system of a lab.
I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm supposed to calculate the exhaust flow required through fume hoods.I know this depends on the type of hazard that is being dealt with in the Lab but my knowledge of the actual processes that will be taking place is limited at best.I downloaded a book (ASHRAE Laboratory Design Guide) and I can't seem to find anything specific in there.That's the best recourse I could find.
Any insight into the topic would be appreciated.
Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the most part, you select the hood based on the size requirement of the lab users. After that, the full-flow airflow is what the standard and manufacturer says (it's typically 105 fpm across the face).

What is exhaust flow and why is it important for fume hoods and BSCs?

Exhaust flow refers to the amount of air that is removed from a space, such as a laboratory, through a ventilation system. This is important for fume hoods and BSCs because it helps to maintain a safe and controlled environment by removing potentially hazardous fumes and particles from the air.

How is exhaust flow calculated for fume hoods and BSCs?

Exhaust flow is typically calculated by measuring the air velocity and cross-sectional area of the exhaust system. This can be done using tools such as an anemometer and a flow hood, or through more complex calculations using the dimensions and design of the ventilation system.

What factors can affect exhaust flow in fume hoods and BSCs?

There are several factors that can affect exhaust flow in fume hoods and BSCs, including the design and condition of the ventilation system, the size and type of equipment being used, and the air pressure differentials within the laboratory.

What are the recommended exhaust flow rates for fume hoods and BSCs?

The recommended exhaust flow rates for fume hoods and BSCs vary depending on the specific type and intended use of the equipment. However, in general, fume hoods should have an exhaust flow rate of 80-120 linear feet per minute (fpm), while BSCs should have an exhaust flow rate of 100-125 fpm.

Are there any regulations or standards for exhaust flow in fume hoods and BSCs?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations such as OSHA and ANSI that provide guidelines for exhaust flow rates in fume hoods and BSCs. It is important to consult these regulations and standards to ensure that the laboratory is in compliance with safety and ventilation requirements.