Calculating Expectation Value for E in Wavefunction

In summary, the conversation is about trying to check the expectation value <E> for the wavefunction sqrt(2/L) sin(2pix / L). The person knows a shortcut way of calculating it, but wants to double check by taking the Hamiltonian and multiplying it by the complex conjugate and integrating from 0 to L. However, the result does not match the expected value of E. The issue may be with the integration process and the other person offers to help identify the error.
jaejoon89
I'm trying to check that the expectation value <E> is E for the wavefunction

sqrt(2/L) sin(2pix / L)

I know the shortcut way of doing it by saying that the hamiltonian multiplied by the function is just the eigenvalue E multiplied by the function, and since the function is normalized the answer is E. However, I want to try to check it:

But when I take the hamiltonian of the function (V=0) and then multiply that by the complex conjugate and integrate from 0 to L I get

2 h^2 / mL^2

which is not quite what I would expect if it equals E since I know for the 1D Schrodinger equation

E_n = n^2 h^2 / 8mL^2
=>E_2 = h^2 / 2mL^2

What's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be integrating incorrectly, if you show your calculations, we can point out your error...

Related to Calculating Expectation Value for E in Wavefunction

1. What is the expectation value for energy in a wavefunction?

The expectation value for energy in a wavefunction is a mathematical calculation that represents the average value of the energy of a particle in a given quantum state.

2. How do you calculate the expectation value for energy in a wavefunction?

The expectation value for energy is calculated by taking the integral of the wavefunction multiplied by the energy operator, and then dividing by the integral of the wavefunction alone.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value for energy in a wavefunction?

The expectation value for energy is an important concept in quantum mechanics because it allows us to predict the most likely energy of a particle in a given quantum state. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. Can the expectation value for energy be negative?

Yes, the expectation value for energy can be negative. This can occur when the wavefunction has a negative region or when the energy operator has a negative eigenvalue.

5. How does the expectation value for energy change with different quantum states?

The expectation value for energy can vary depending on the specific quantum state of a particle. It will be different for different energy levels and can also change with different confinement potentials and external forces acting on the particle.