Calculating Fatigue Limit | STRESS vs. Stress Amplitude | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fatigue limit and calculating it based on given data. The person is having trouble getting the correct answer and is seeking help from others. They also mention that the force/area equation may not be applicable in this case and suggest using a different equation for calculating bending stress.
1question

Homework Statement

First of all, fatigue limit is defined in terms of STRESS, NOT stress amplitude, right?

Calculate the fatigue limit based on the given data (see my attempt for data).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a link to the data + my graph (image too large for attachment): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzPjRy-fIhozc19YaUkyUzdKU0E/edit?usp=sharing I found the area through A = pi(d/2)^2 and each stress through stress = F/A.

Ok, I've got data going from log(N) cycles vs. 994,000 Pa to ~2mil pascals. The 994,000 Pa is at the right end that is almost perfectly horizontal and is the last of 3 points to make that horizontal line. Therefore, I pick it as my fatigue limit value. Unfortunately, the quiz I am doing only offers 280 MPa, 330 MPa, 400 MPa and no fatigue limit as answers. The curve clearly has a fatigue limit and all 3 values on the horizontal line are very close (994K Pa, 101K Pa, 102K Pa), so the particular number I picked is not the issue. In fact, not one of my stress values is close to any of the options given (see link's graph or table).

I have no idea how I am doing this wrong. The other questions' magnitudes are also far from the ones I get. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on your experiment, I assume you subjected the cantilever to bending. If that is the case, then your stress is bending stress and not a tensile one so using Force/Area won't give you bending stress.

[tex]\sigma_{bending} = \frac{My}{I}[/tex]

where M = bending moment

y = distance from neutral axis

I = second moment of area about the bending axis.

1. What is fatigue limit and why is it important to calculate?

Fatigue limit, also known as endurance limit or fatigue strength, is the maximum stress level that a material can withstand without failing under repeated loading and unloading. It is important to calculate because it helps engineers and designers determine the durability and reliability of a material for a specific application, and ensure that it will not fail due to repeated stress over time.

2. What is the difference between STRESS and Stress Amplitude?

STRESS refers to the force applied to a material per unit area, while stress amplitude is the difference between the maximum and minimum stress levels experienced by the material during a loading cycle. Essentially, stress amplitude is a measure of the range of stress levels that a material is subjected to.

3. How is fatigue limit calculated?

Fatigue limit is typically calculated using a fatigue test, where a material is subjected to repeated loading and unloading until failure occurs. The stress levels and number of cycles are recorded, and the fatigue limit is determined as the stress level at which the material can withstand an infinite number of cycles without failing.

4. What are some factors that can affect the fatigue limit of a material?

The fatigue limit of a material can be affected by factors such as the type and composition of the material, surface finish, temperature, and the presence of defects or notches. Additionally, the stress concentration and loading conditions can also impact the fatigue limit.

5. How can the fatigue limit of a material be improved?

The fatigue limit of a material can be improved through various methods such as heat treatment, surface treatments, shot peening, and adding reinforcements or coatings. Design modifications, such as reducing sharp corners and notches, can also help improve the fatigue limit of a material.