Calculating Focal Length for Real and Inverted Image | Simple Optics

In summary, the focal length of a lens is needed to form a real and inverted image on a screen with a magnification of 4.0. The lens should be placed as close to the object as possible to achieve the desired magnification.
mikehibbert
[SOLVED] Simple Optics - being stupid?!

Homework Statement

There's an object 1.5m from a white screen. What is the focal length of a lens needed to form a real and inverted image on the screen with magnification of 4.0?
How far from the object should the lens be placed?

Homework Equations

-M=S'/S

1/f=1/S'+1/S

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is the first part of the question, what to use for S and S', surely there are an infinite number of possibilities?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a couple of extra constraints.
1, the lens to image_distance is the focal length
2, magnification = f / (f - object_distance)
3, object_distance + image_distance = 1.5m

I don't see how point 1 helps me sorry?

I understand that objectdistance + imagedistance = 1.5m

but that gives the distances sooo many possibilities?

image distance i = f, object distante = o
i + o = 1.5m
o = 1.5m - i = 1.5m -f

m = f / ( f - o ) = 4

subsitute o and solve for f

right,

if i follow that through i get f=8/3

but then putting f back into m=f/(f-o) to find o,

i get o=2, which can't be right because the object is only 1.5m from the screen?

Sorry my fault, image distance is only f if the object is at infinity (i'm an astronomer - objects are always at infinity!) I meant to say:
1/f = 1/o + 1/i and o+i=1.5
m = f / (f - o) = 4

Rearrangement is a little trickier

i'm really struggling with this... i can't seem to get f out of the maths?!

mikehibbert said:

Homework Statement

There's an object 1.5m from a white screen. What is the focal length of a lens needed to form a real and inverted image on the screen with magnification of 4.0?
How far from the object should the lens be placed?

Homework Equations

-M=S'/S

1/f=1/S'+1/S

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is the first part of the question, what to use for S and S', surely there are an infinite number of possibilities?

maybe I am missing something here but S'/S = -M = 4 so S'= 4S, right? And S+S' = 1.5 meter so a simple substitution gives you both S and S'!

Then you may find the focal length using 1/f = 1/S + 1/S'. Iam probably missing something because it seems straightforward to me.

You're right... i feel like SUCH an idiot haha.

Thanks!

Related to Calculating Focal Length for Real and Inverted Image | Simple Optics

1. What is Simple Optics?

Simple Optics is the study of how light behaves and interacts with different materials, without the use of complex optical systems.

2. Why is it called "Simple" Optics?

The term "simple" in Simple Optics refers to the fact that it deals with basic principles and phenomena of light, rather than more complex and advanced optical systems.

3. What are some examples of Simple Optics?

Examples of Simple Optics include reflection, refraction, diffraction, and polarization of light. It also includes studying the properties of lenses, mirrors, and prisms.

4. How is Simple Optics different from other branches of optics?

Simple Optics differs from other branches of optics, such as geometric optics and physical optics, in that it focuses on the basic principles of light and its interactions with materials, rather than the use of complex equations and theories.

5. Why is Simple Optics important?

Simple Optics is important because it helps us understand how light behaves and how it can be manipulated by different materials. This knowledge has practical applications in fields such as photography, microscopy, and telecommunications.