Calculating for unknown vector.

• Thread starter -Dragoon-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem asks for the coordinates of point D in a rectangle ABCD, given the vertices of A(-3,1,2), B(1,-3,-1), and C(3,-1,-1). The equations \vec{AB} = \vec{CD} and \vec{BC} = \vec{AD} are used to find vector D, but this yields a parallelogram instead of a rectangle. The correct solution is found by setting either \vec{CD} = \vec{AB} or \vec{DC} = \vec{AB}, which gives the perpendicular sides AC and BD. This can only be done with a right triangle.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

The vertices of a triangle are given by A(-3, 1, 2), B(1, -3, -1), and C(3, -1, -1). What are the coordinates of D(x, y, z) such that ABCD is a rectangle?

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{AB} = \vec{CD}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{AB} = \vec{OB} - \vec{OA}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{CD} = \vec{OD} - \vec{OC}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since ABCD is a triangle, and two sides are equal:
[tex]\vec{AB} = \vec{CD}[/tex] [tex]\vec{BC} = \vec{AD}[/tex]
I decide to go with [tex]\vec{AB} = \vec{CD}[/tex] to find vector D
First I find [tex]\vec{AB}[/tex]:
[tex]\vec{AB} = \vec{OB} - \vec{OA}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{AB} = (1 - (-3), -3 - 1, -1 - 2)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{AB} = (4, -4, -3)[/tex]

So, now that I have found vector AB, I can now find vector CD:
[tex]\vec{CD} = \vec{OD} - \vec{OC}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{CD} = (x - 3, y - (-1), z - (-1)) = (4, -4, -3)[/tex]
So, by using the values of vector AB to find the unknowns of vector D, I yield:
x = 7, y = -5, z = -3 (7, -5, -3). But, my book says the solution is x = -1, y = 3, z= 2 (-1, 3, 2). Instead of calculating vector AB = vector CD, they went with vector BC = vector AD. But, since it was a rectangle, shouldn't I have come to same answer as the textbook? Where did I go wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have constructed is a parallelogram but not a rectangle. You have AB parallel to CD, and AC parallel to BD, but you do not have AC and BD perpendicular to AB and CD. (Simple check using dot product.)

Your problem is with setting AB = CD. If you sketch the three points A, B, C, you will see from the geometry that you need AB = DC if you are going to form a rectangle.

jbunniii said:
What you have constructed is a parallelogram but not a rectangle. You have AB parallel to CD, and AC parallel to BD, but you do not have AC and BD perpendicular to AB and CD. (Simple check using dot product.)

Your problem is with setting AB = CD. If you sketch the three points A, B, C, you will see from the geometry that you need AB = DC if you are going to form a rectangle.

Ah, I see. I forgot the law that vectors of equal magnitudes and same direction are equal. But, the same does not apply for a parallelogram? Because if I were to draw a parallelogram, wouldn't AB and CD have different directions?

Retribution said:
Ah, I see. I forgot the law that vectors of equal magnitudes and same direction are equal. But, the same does not apply for a parallelogram? Because if I were to draw a parallelogram, wouldn't AB and CD have different directions?

You started with three points: A, B, and C. If you make AB one of the sides of the rectangle, then you have two choices for where to put D.

One choice is to make CD = AB, the other is to make DC = AB. Both choices will give you a vector parallel to AB and the same magnitude as AB.

In the first case, CD = AB, the other two sides will be AC and BD.

In the second case, DC = AB, the other two sides will be AD and BC.

Either way, you will get a parallelogram.

But a rectangle is a parallelogram with an additional constraint: the angles have to be right angles, or equivalently, two of the vectors must be perpendicular to the other two.

There's no general rule regarding which vector you should form (i.e. should AB equal CD, or DC) in order to get a rectangle. In fact, for most triangles, neither choice will result in a rectangle. In order to do that, you need to start with a right triangle. (i.e. one of the angles has to be a right angle). So a good first step in this problem would be to identify which angle is the right angle, then it should be clear how to choose D.

P.S. The above is probably going to be confusing unless you draw a picture. Draw a triangle with vertices A, B, C, then draw a line through C that is parallel to AB. Then you you can see that you have two choices for where to put D: to the left of C, or to the right of C, by the distance |AB|. You can see that only one choice (at most) will give you a rectangle.

jbunniii said:
You started with three points: A, B, and C. If you make AB one of the sides of the rectangle, then you have two choices for where to put D.
Okay, I follow you so far.

jbunniii said:
One choice is to make CD = AB, the other is to make DC = AB. Both choices will give you a vector parallel to AB and the same magnitude as AB.

In the first case, CD = AB, the other two sides will be AC and BD.

In the second case, DC = AB, the other two sides will be AD and BC.

Either way, you will get a parallelogram.
But, won't vector AC and vector BD be diagonal and have completely different directions, and thus not parallel to CD and AB? Or is this a technique that can be done with parallelograms? Does the direction of a vector not matter but only the magnitudes to decide they are equal in a parallelogram?

jbunniii said:
But a rectangle is a parallelogram with an additional constraint: the angles have to be right angles, or equivalently, two of the vectors must be perpendicular to the other two.
Understood

jbunniii said:
There's no general rule regarding which vector you should form (i.e. should AB equal CD, or DC) in order to get a rectangle. In fact, for most triangles, neither choice will result in a rectangle. In order to do that, you need to start with a right triangle. (i.e. one of the angles has to be a right angle). So a good first step in this problem would be to identify which angle is the right angle, then it should be clear how to choose D.
So, in order to do that, I would have to know the measurements of the vectors and solve accordingly?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It is usually represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and its length represents its magnitude.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (M) of a vector (V) with components (Vx,Vy) is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (M = √(Vx² + Vy²)).

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that only has magnitude, such as mass or temperature. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by both a magnitude and direction.

4. How do you calculate the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The direction (θ) of a vector (V) can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the y-component (Vy) divided by the x-component (Vx) (θ = tan⁻¹(Vy/Vx)).

5. Can vectors be multiplied?

Vectors can be multiplied, but the result is not another vector. The product of two vectors can be either a scalar (dot product) or a vector (cross product). The dot product of two vectors results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.