Calculating Force Between Parallel Wires

In summary, the formula for calculating the force between parallel wires is F = μ0 * I1 * I2 * L / (2 * π * d), where F is the force in Newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires. The force between parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them, and is described by the formula F ∝ 1/d. The force is also directly proportional to the product of the currents in the wires and the length of the wires, and is described by the formulas F ∝ I1 * I2 and F
waleye262

Homework Statement

Two long, straight wires are separated by a distance of 32.7 cm. One wire carries a current of 2.69 A, the other carries a current of 4.33 A.

Find the force per meter exerted on the 2.69 A wire.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
waleye262 said:

Homework Equations

Knowing this will help you.

waleye262 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Seeing this will enable us to aid you in the question.

knowing this would help me too but i don't!

What do your notes say about force exerted by parallel current carrying wires?

Related to Calculating Force Between Parallel Wires

What is the formula for calculating the force between parallel wires?

The formula for calculating the force between parallel wires is F = μ0 * I1 * I2 * L / (2 * π * d), where F is the force in Newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

How does the distance between the wires affect the force?

The force between parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula F ∝ 1/d.

What is the role of current in calculating the force between parallel wires?

The force between parallel wires is directly proportional to the product of the currents in the two wires. This means that as the currents increase, the force also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula F ∝ I1 * I2.

Can the force between parallel wires be attractive or repulsive?

The force between parallel wires can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the currents in the wires. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the force between the wires will be attractive. But if the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the force between the wires will be repulsive.

Is the force between parallel wires affected by the length of the wires?

Yes, the force between parallel wires is directly proportional to the length of the wires. This means that as the length increases, the force also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula F ∝ L.