Calculating Force in the Turning Effect of Force Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the value of F in an equilibrium situation. The user attempted to solve the problem using the formula F1D1 = F2D2, but was confused by the answer. Another user suggests checking the values of D1 and D2, which are distances from the pivot point. The correct values of D1 and D2 are confirmed to be 1.0 cm and 8.0 cm, respectively. Finally, the distance between F and the pivot point is determined to be 9.0 cm.
Muhammad Danish

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-15_22-34-13.png

Homework Equations

How do we calculate the value of F?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since for an object to be in equilibrium, F1D1 = F2D2 so 7.2 x 1 = F x 8
F = 0.9N, I am pretty much confused with the answer I worked out. If I am wrong or if I am right, please explain me the correct solution so that next time before solving questions of this type, I would be confident.

Thanks.
(Regards)

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-15_22-34-13.png
    upload_2018-4-15_22-34-13.png
    12 KB · Views: 1,112
Physics news on Phys.org
Both D1 and D2 should be distances as measured from the pivot point. Check to make sure you have the correct values for D1 and D2.

TSny said:
Both D1 and D2 should be distances as measured from the pivot point. Check to make sure you have the correct values for D1 and D2.
Yes, the correct values of D1 and D2 are 1.0 cm and 8.0 cm respectively.

Muhammad Danish said:
Yes, the correct values of D1 and D2 are 1.0 cm and 8.0 cm respectively.
What is the distance between the unknown force F and the pivot point?

TSny said:
What is the distance between the unknown force F and the pivot point?
Oh, It will be 8+1= 9.0 cm?

Muhammad Danish said:
Oh, It will be 8+1= 9.0 cm?
Yes.

What is the "Turning Effect of Force"?

The turning effect of force, also known as torque, is a measure of the ability of a force to rotate an object around an axis or pivot point. It is influenced by both the magnitude and direction of the force.

What is the formula for calculating the turning effect of force?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance, where force is measured in Newtons (N) and distance is measured in meters (m).

What factors affect the turning effect of force?

The turning effect of force is affected by the magnitude of the force, the distance from the pivot point, and the angle at which the force is applied. It is also influenced by the distribution of mass in the object being rotated.

How is the turning effect of force used in everyday life?

The turning effect of force is used in many everyday objects and activities, such as opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, and riding a bicycle. It is also used in more complex machines, such as cars and airplanes, to control their movement.

How does the turning effect of force relate to rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium occurs when the net torque acting on an object is equal to zero, meaning that the object is not rotating. The turning effect of force is used to determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium, as the sum of all torques acting on the object must be equal to zero for it to be balanced.