Calculating Force on a Golf Ball when Putting on a Level Green

• I
  • Thread starter ashmoney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
ashmoney
I'm looking for advice on how to calculate the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green a certain distance. I currently have the mass of the golf ball (45.93g), distance (3.048m), and the rolling coefficient of friction using a stimpmeter reading. I have started by creating a free body diagram and using Newton's second law (F=ma), but I am so unsure of where to go from here to include the required distance into this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashmoney said:
I'm looking for advice on how to calculate the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green a certain distance. I currently have the mass of the golf ball (45.93g), distance (3.048m), and the rolling coefficient of friction using a stimpmeter reading. I have started by creating a free body diagram and using Newton's second law (F=ma), but I am so unsure of where to go from here to include the required distance into this equation.
It's not force you need, it's the initial impulse, which is (average) force by time to give you the initial momentum from the initial sudden acceleration phase.

The force of rolling friction/resistance is relevant for the deceleration phase.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How do you calculate the force on a golf ball when putting on a level green?

To calculate the force on a golf ball when putting on a level green, you will need to know the mass of the ball, the distance it needs to travel, and the desired speed. Then, you can use the formula F=ma (force equals mass times acceleration) to determine the force needed to achieve the desired speed.

2. What factors affect the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green?

The force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green is affected by several factors, including the slope and texture of the green, the distance to the hole, and the speed of the green. Additionally, the type and condition of the golf ball, as well as the golfer's technique and strength, can also impact the required force.

3. How do you adjust the force when putting on a downhill or uphill slope?

When putting on a downhill slope, you will need less force than on a level green because gravity will help the ball roll faster. Conversely, when putting on an uphill slope, you will need more force to overcome the resistance of the slope and achieve the desired speed. It is essential to practice and adjust your force accordingly to become proficient in putting on different slopes.

4. Is there a specific force that guarantees a successful putt on a level green?

No, there is no specific force that guarantees a successful putt on a level green. Several factors, such as the speed and slope of the green, can affect the ball's trajectory and ultimately determine whether the putt is successful. It is crucial to practice and develop a consistent putting technique to improve your chances of success on the green.

5. How does air resistance affect the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green?

Air resistance can affect the force needed to putt a golf ball on a level green, but it is minimal. The dimples on a golf ball help reduce air resistance, allowing the ball to travel further with less force. However, air resistance can still impact the ball's trajectory, especially when putting at higher speeds or longer distances. It is essential to consider air resistance when calculating the force needed for longer putts.