Calculating Freefall Time: How Long Will the Book Take to Hit the Ground?

In summary, a person in a hot air balloon at 500m is rising at 20m/s. To rise up even faster, she drops her physics textbook out of the balloon. Using the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration, the book will take approximately 51 seconds to hit the ground. However, the acceleration due to gravity is actually -9.8 m/s^2, not -9.8 m/s.
Fritsc
Questions;

1)A person in a hot air balloon at 500m is rising at 20m/s.
In order to rise up even faster, she drops her physics textbook out of the balloon.
How long will the book take to hit the ground?

Since it's thrown at 500m high, and Gravity is -9.8m/s
500/9.8 = 51 seconds
However I'm not pleased with the answer, I just feel something is missing and it should not be that easy.

2)A pop fly rises 80m after being hit by a bat.
How long is it in the hair before it is caught by the catcher?

Same logic.
80/9.8 = 8.1 seconds.

3)A ball is thrown up with a Vi of 30m/s^2 on the moon where gravity is 1/6g
How high?
How long total?
How long until ball is 100m high?

Moon gravity = 1.6

How high?
30/1.6 = 18.8s
1.6*18.8 = 30
30*18.8 = 564
564 - 30 = 534m

How long total?
30/1.6 = 18.8sHi there, I'm new to these forum, and new to physics!
These are some of the question that are given to me (There lots more!). But basically they're of the same concept so helping me with 3 of these will probably make me understand the rest of the question I'm given.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum! I'm new too. =]
Just know that you'll get help much faster if you show that you tried the problem first

Edit: You should read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried the question and I'm really confused right now!
I didn't type it out because it's a mess in my book.
Thanks!

Fritsc said:
Questions;

1)A person in a hot air balloon at 500m is rising at 20m/s.
In order to rise up even faster, she drops her physics textbook out of the balloon.
How long will the book take to hit the ground?

Since it's thrown at 500m high, and Gravity is -9.8m/s
500/9.8 = 51 seconds
However I'm not pleased with the answer, I just feel something is missing and it should not be that easy.

Welcome to PF :smile:

No, the acceleration due to gravity IS NOT -9.8 m/s, it is -9.8 m/s2

How about using the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration here?

Related to Calculating Freefall Time: How Long Will the Book Take to Hit the Ground?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that holds everything together and keeps objects in orbit around each other.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time by massive objects, such as planets and stars. The more massive the object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

3. Why do objects fall to the ground?

Objects fall to the ground because of the force of gravity. The Earth's mass creates a gravitational pull towards its center, causing objects to accelerate towards the ground.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is dependent on the mass and distance between the objects.

5. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull. This means that objects with larger mass will have a stronger gravitational force compared to objects with smaller mass.