Calculating frequency of the second harmonic

In summary, to calculate the frequency of the 2nd harmonic of a violin string with a fundamental frequency of 283 Hz, we can use the equation f(n) = n*v/2L where n is the harmonic number, v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the string. Since the 2nd harmonic is one octave above the fundamental, we can simply double the frequency, resulting in a frequency of 566 Hz.
struggtofunc

Homework Statement

The fundamental frequency of a violin string is 283 Hz. Calculate the frequency of the 2nd harmonic.

Known:
f = 283 Hz

Homework Equations

v = fλ
f(n) = n*v/2L
λ= L
v(sound) = 343 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 343/283 = 1.21 m

f(2) = 2*343/2*1.21 = 283 Hz.

I'm getting the same answer as the original problem and I'm not too sure where to go from here. Any help would be much appreciated! Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
You are over-thinking the problem.
The 2'nd harmonic must one octave above the fundamental.
What is an octave in music?

Oh I see, so an octave would be twice the frequency? I'm simply just doubling 283Hz to 566Hz

1. What is the second harmonic frequency?

The second harmonic frequency is the frequency that is twice the fundamental frequency of a wave. It is also known as the first overtone and is a multiple of the fundamental frequency.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of the second harmonic?

The frequency of the second harmonic can be calculated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by 2. This is because the second harmonic has twice the frequency of the fundamental frequency.

3. What is the relationship between the second harmonic and the fundamental frequency?

The second harmonic has a frequency that is exactly twice that of the fundamental frequency. This means that if the fundamental frequency is 100 Hz, the second harmonic will be 200 Hz.

4. How does the amplitude of the second harmonic compare to the fundamental frequency?

The amplitude of the second harmonic is usually lower than the fundamental frequency. This is because as waves propagate, they lose energy and their amplitudes decrease.

5. Can the second harmonic frequency be higher than the fundamental frequency?

No, the second harmonic frequency can never be higher than the fundamental frequency. It will always be a multiple of the fundamental frequency, with the first harmonic being the fundamental frequency itself.