Calculating Friction Force with Wedge Action Modeling

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of calculating frictional forces in a mass spring system with zero dimensional nodes, specifically when a yarn can get stuck between a wedge. The proposed solution involves using a penalty method to penalize the distance between the node and the surfaces of the wedge, and calculating the friction force based on the total force vector and the normal of the symmetry plane. However, it is acknowledged that this method may not be entirely accurate and alternative suggestions are welcome.
Simon666
Hi, kind of stuck with how to calculate frictional forces in a particular problem: I am modeling yarn using mass spring system, zero dimensional nodes. Question is, what to do when a yarn can get stuck between a wedge?

How to calculate friction force vector, surface reaction and so? Since a node is zero dimensional, seems kind of impossible. Maybe I need to assume kind of finite dimensions and work with some kind of penalty method penalizing the distance between a node and the surfaces of the wedge? Still, I am completely stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I did not fully solve it, I managed to find a way around that is not physically 100% correct. Around my point mass, I started to look for wedge surfaces and if sum of the distances between mass point and the two wedge surfaces fell between some treshold, started generating penalizing compressive force, located along the normal on the symmetry plane between the wedge planes, and along a direction trying to put the mass point on the symmetry plane.

Friction force size is then mu times the total force vector on my mass point with the dot product of the normal on the symmetry plane of the wedge. Friction force direction is the projection of the total force vector on my mass point on the symmetry plane of the wedge, normalized and inverted.

It's not really correct but it's a mass spring model, I think it's the best I can do unless someone has a better idea.

1. What is wedge action modeling?

Wedge action modeling is a method used to calculate the friction force between two surfaces in contact. It involves modeling the surfaces as two wedges and using the angle of inclination and coefficient of friction to determine the friction force.

2. How is the angle of inclination determined in wedge action modeling?

The angle of inclination is determined by measuring the height and length of the two surfaces in contact. It is then calculated using the formula tan(θ) = height/length.

3. What is the coefficient of friction and why is it important in wedge action modeling?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is important in wedge action modeling because it is used in the formula to calculate the friction force.

4. Are there any limitations to using wedge action modeling?

Yes, there are limitations to using wedge action modeling. It is only applicable for flat surfaces in contact and does not take into account other factors such as surface roughness or temperature.

5. Can wedge action modeling be used to calculate friction force in all scenarios?

No, wedge action modeling may not be accurate in all scenarios. It is most suitable for static friction and may not be applicable for dynamic friction or when the surfaces are in motion.