Calculating Geostrophic Flow and Pressure Gradient | Station J and K Example

• Thread starter geojon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the problem involves determining the geostrophic flow between two stations, J and K, located 100 km apart with a sea level difference of +0.10m. The equations of motion for geostrophic flow are used, taking into account assumptions such as horizontal velocities being greater than vertical, gravity being the only external force, and minimal friction. The geostrophic flow is calculated to be -0.135 units in the W-E direction, with the direction of flow towards the West. The effects of Coriolis forces are included in the equations, and the pressure gradient is related to the sea level difference through the hydrostatic equation
geojon

Homework Statement

Station J is 100 km West of station K at 30o N. The sea level difference between the two stations is +0.10m. What is the geostrophic flow between J and K, and what is it's direction? Specify and justify any assumptions you make.

Homework Equations

What is the pressure gradient between station J and K? Will this be needed to solve the problem.
When determining which direction it will flow (and we are in the northern hemisphere), do I need to consider that Coriolis acts perpendicular to the direction the parcel travels, along isobars? Or is it sort of intuitive that it will flow to the West?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming a number of things: the horizontal velocities are much greater than the vertical, w<<u, v; the only external force is gravity; friction is very small.
Thus, there is a balance between Coriolis forces and horizontal pressure gradient.
Surface geostrophic currents are proportional to the slope of the topography.

Equation of Motion simplified for geostrophic flow is then: -fv = -(1/ro) * (dp/dx) ; fu = -(1/ro) * (dp/dy)

Geostrophic flow for W-E is then: u = -(g/f) * (dz/dx) ; f = 2(angularspeed)sin(30o latitude)

u = -](9.81/7.27*10-5)] * [(0.10m)/(100000m)] = -0.135

The direction of the flow, I think, is to the West. Working in a non-inertial reference frame sort of throws me off though. Do i need to consider Coriolis acting perpendicular to parcel travel direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked in this area for a long time, so my memory may not serve me well. But, since no one else has ventured an answer, here goes.

If I remember correctly, the effects of Coriolis forces are included in the geostrophic equations. And, also, if I remember correctly, the isobars of the pressure field coincide with the streamlines of the flow. So, in this case, shouldn't the flow velocity be in the NS direction? What are the units of your velocity?

Chet

1. What is geostrophic flow?

Geostrophic flow is the horizontal movement of air or water in response to the balance of Coriolis force and pressure gradient force. This results in a flow parallel to the isobars or contour lines, with no net acceleration.

2. How is geostrophic flow calculated?

Geostrophic flow is calculated using the geostrophic wind equation, which takes into account the Coriolis force and pressure gradient force. This equation can be solved for the geostrophic wind speed and direction.

3. What is the pressure gradient force?

The pressure gradient force is the force that results from differences in air pressure over a given distance. It is responsible for the movement of air from high pressure areas to low pressure areas.

4. How is pressure gradient calculated?

The pressure gradient can be calculated by taking the difference in pressure between two points and dividing it by the distance between those points. This will give the pressure gradient in units of pressure per unit distance (e.g. millibars per kilometer).

5. Can geostrophic flow be affected by other forces?

Yes, geostrophic flow can be affected by other forces such as friction and the curvature of the Earth's surface. These forces can cause the geostrophic wind to deviate from its theoretical direction and speed.