Calculating Gravity with Pendulum - Factors of influence

In summary: The elasticity of the string (fishing line) used on the pendulum. Wouldn't there be a very small amount of elasticity which would be altering the length of the string throughout the course of its period?That is a valid point. You might want to mention that pendulum oscillations are often damped by the accumulated elastic energy in the string.
MassivePhysics
Sorry if I fill any of this out incorrectly, this is my first post.

Homework Statement

Basically, we are told to calculate gravity with the use of a pendulum. Now, this part I understand, alter the length, record the period at each length, calculate averages and substitute these averages into the formula, T = 2pi sqrt (L/g)

Homework Equations

As stated above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have obtained my average for gravity, which is 9.53m/s^2. But I need some clarification on a few minor things.

In my scientific discussion, I have said that:
-human reaction time
-Friction
-Air resistance
-Weight Distribution (of the mass on the end of the pendulum)

All play a part in the result for gravity not being 9.8, however there are a few things that I am tempted to include, but not too sure if they are correct.

1. The very, very, very small impact that the gravitation force between the metal mass on the end of the pendulum and the metal retort stand used to hold the pendulum has. I.e, this small gravitation field is slightly altering the course of the pendulum and as such slightly altering the period time.

2. The elasticity of the string (fishing line) used on the pendulum. Wouldn't there be a very small amount of elasticity which would be altering the length of the string throughout the course of its period?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the formula you mentioned to find out time period is only applicable for Pendulum performing Simple Harmonic Motion, that is, by undergoing (infinitesimally) small displacement. So, for Macro-displacements, the motion is no longer SHM and the formula is not very accurate.

I would assume that the reason free fall acceleration is so deviated is that the experiment was performed using large angles of swinging, up to about 15 degrees should have been good enough.

You could include that the length of the pendulum may not have been measured precisely, also the uncertainty in your timekeeping device.

Also, the larger angle you use the faster speed pendulum bob obtains, since the force of air resistance is proportional to the square of the speed, that influenced the period slightly.

MassivePhysics said:
1. The very, very, very small impact that the gravitation force between the metal mass on the end of the pendulum and the metal retort stand used to hold the pendulum has. I.e, this small gravitation field is slightly altering the course of the pendulum and as such slightly altering the period time.
Much too small to be of interest.

How did you measure period? Did you time one swing, or time ten swings and divide by ten? If you used multiple swings, mis-counting happens sometimes.

1. What is a pendulum and how does it relate to gravity?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth due to the force of gravity. The period of the pendulum's swing is directly related to the strength of the gravitational pull at that location.

2. What factors can affect the calculation of gravity using a pendulum?

The length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the angle at which the pendulum is released can all affect the calculation of gravity using a pendulum. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact.

3. How is the length of the pendulum related to the calculation of gravity?

The longer the pendulum, the slower it will swing and the longer its period will be. This is because the gravitational force acting on the pendulum remains constant, but the longer length results in a longer distance for the pendulum to travel.

4. Why is the mass of the weight important in calculating gravity with a pendulum?

The mass of the weight affects the period of the pendulum's swing. A heavier weight will have a longer period, while a lighter weight will have a shorter period. This is because the gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of the weight.

5. Can a pendulum be used to calculate gravity on any planet?

Yes, a pendulum can be used to calculate gravity on any planet as long as the length, mass, and release angle are known. However, the strength of gravity may vary from planet to planet, so the calculation may not be the same as on Earth.