Calculating Hard Disk Read/Write Time & Capacity

In summary, the hard disk with 1024 cylinders, 8 tracks per cylinder, 32 sectors per track and 512 Bytes per sector has a total capacity of 128 MBytes and it would take 114688 ms to read the entire disk if the read/write head is positioned on the first sector of the first track of the first cylinder. The maximum access time for 800KB of data not stored on consecutive tracks is 1262 ms.
nerdygazilio

Homework Statement

Suppose the hard disk above has 1024 cylinders, 8 tracks per cylinder, 32 sectors per track and 512 Bytes per sector. The maximum seek time is 450 msec, the time to move between adjacent cylinders is 10 msec, the rotation time is 14.

a) If the entire disk was full of data stored consecutively, how much time would it take to read the entire disk if the read/write head is already positioned on the first sector of the first track of the first cylinder of the disk?

b) Find the total capacity of the disk?

c) Find the maximum access time (worst case) for 800KB of data not stored on consecutive tracks. Clearly explain your solution/working.

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

1024 cylinders
8 tracks/ cylinder (8192 tracks)
32 sectors/ track (262144 sectors)
512 bytes/ sector (134217728 bytes)
Maximum seek = 450 ms
Switch/wait = 10ms + 4ms
Latency(rotational time) = 14 ms

a) Total time = number of tracks × rotational time
= 8192 tracks×14 ms
= 114688 ms

b) Total capacity = cylinders×tracks×sectors×512 bytes
= 1024 cylinders×8 tracks×32 sectors×512 bytes
= 134217728 bytes
= 134217728 bytes÷2^20
= 128 MBytes

c) Maximum access time = seek + latency + transfer + switch/wait

#tracks = (800×2^10 )bytes×(1 sector)/(512 bytes)×(1 track)/(32 sectors)
= 50 tracks

Transfer time = #tracks ×rotational time
= 50 tracks × 14 ms
= 700ms

Switch/ wait = 10ms +4ms = 14ms

Maximum access time = seek + latency + transfer + switch/wait
= 450ms+14ms+700ms+98ms
= 1262ms

Physics news on Phys.org

Explanation: The maximum access time for 800KB of data not stored on consecutive tracks is calculated by first determining the number of tracks needed to store the data, which is 50 tracks. Then, the transfer time for these tracks is calculated by multiplying the number of tracks by the rotational time of 14 ms. Next, the switch/wait time is added, which is 14 ms. Finally, the seek time and latency time are added to get the maximum access time of 1262 ms. This is the worst case scenario, meaning that the read/write head would have to move between the maximum number of cylinders and wait for the disk to rotate to the correct sector before accessing the data.

Related to Calculating Hard Disk Read/Write Time & Capacity

1. How do I calculate the read/write time for my hard disk?

The read/write time for a hard disk can be calculated by dividing the size of the data being read/written by the transfer rate. The transfer rate can be found on the hard disk's specifications or can be measured using benchmarking software.

2. What factors affect the read/write time of a hard disk?

The read/write time of a hard disk can be affected by various factors such as the disk's rotational speed, the data transfer rate, the interface used, the size of the data being read/written, and the disk's overall health and performance.

3. How do I calculate the capacity of my hard disk?

The capacity of a hard disk can be calculated by multiplying the number of platters by the number of heads and the number of sectors per track. This information can be found on the hard disk's specifications or through disk management tools on your computer.

4. Can I improve the read/write time of my hard disk?

Yes, the read/write time of a hard disk can be improved by upgrading to a faster hard disk with a higher rotational speed, using a faster interface such as SATA or NVMe, and optimizing the disk's health and performance through regular maintenance and defragmentation.

5. Is there a limit to the capacity of a hard disk?

Yes, there is a physical limit to the capacity of a hard disk, which is determined by the number of platters and the density of the data that can be stored on each platter. However, with advancements in technology, hard disks with larger capacities are constantly being developed.