Calculating Heat Loss for Improved Efficiency in a Steam Generator Design

In summary: Basically, it's a kettle with a nozzle and fan on top that vaporizes water to create steam. The requirements are that the water has a minimum capacity of 2.25 liters, the heat loss from boiling point cannot exceed 75 watts, and there are six steam outlets around the perimeter.
Jt2015
At current I am trying to redesign a steam generator as seen in the picture attached, the requirements for this are as follows:
· The water contain must have a minimum capacity of 2.25 litres
· The heat loss as boiling point shall not exceed 75W in ambient of -3 C +/- 1 C
· The fan shall have a capacity of 0.07 to 0.10m^3/min at 0.5 mbar static pressure
· Six steam outlets holes shall be positioned at the top of the generator around the perimeter spaced at equal distances
· The generator should be calibrated at -3 C +/- 1 C to give reading for each 70 +/- 5g/h output up to a maximum of n times this figure where n is the maximum number of seating positions designated by the manufacturer.

Having not studied physics I am struggling to find what calculations would be required in order to calculate the heat loss and therefore cannot try improving it.
The dimensions for the base are not set and can be altered, only the nozzle and dispersion chamber have set dimensions.

If somebody could point me in the right direction to what equations I will need that would be great,

Thanks

Attachments

• Steam Pic.png
    Steam Pic.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 545
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jt2015 said:
70 +/- 5g/h output
Grams? Or, gallons?

Bystander said:
Grams? Or, gallons?

Sorry, it's grams per hour

Here's the requirements for the nozzle and chamber too.

Attachments

• Nozzle & Chamber.png
    Nozzle & Chamber.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 518
Jt2015 said:
Here's the requirements for the nozzle and chamber too.
I don't think this device is a steam generator in the conventional sense, more like a vaporizer or a tea kettle. 70 g an hour is equivalent to converting about 5 tablespoons of water to vapor.

SteamKing said:
I don't think this device is a steam generator in the conventional sense, more like a vaporizer or a tea kettle. 70 g an hour is equivalent to converting about 5 tablespoons of water to vapor.

Yeh that's a problem I've had as regards to research into it, there's not much information on them. I've literally called it that because that's what it is listed as in the guidelines.

Effectively it is just a kettle heating element in an aluminium (Previous machine) casing lined with insulator, with the nozzle, chamber and fan on top.
I just have little knowledge on what calculations I need to work out the heat loss through it in order to then improve the efficiency for the design as currently the method for this has been just add more insulator.

1. How do you calculate the steam generation rate of a steam generator?

The steam generation rate of a steam generator can be calculated by using the following formula:
SG = (m * hfg) / (Δt * 3600)
Where SG is the steam generation rate in kg/hr, m is the mass flow rate of water in kg/hr, hfg is the enthalpy of evaporation of water at the operating pressure in kJ/kg, and Δt is the time period in seconds.

2. What is the importance of steam generator calculations in the design and operation of a power plant?

Steam generator calculations are crucial in the design and operation of a power plant because they help determine the efficiency and performance of the steam generator. These calculations also help in determining the amount of steam that can be generated, the heat transfer rate, and the overall cost of the steam generator.

3. How do you calculate the heat transfer rate in a steam generator?

The heat transfer rate in a steam generator can be calculated by using the following formula:
Q = m * (hout - hin)
Where Q is the heat transfer rate in kW, m is the mass flow rate of steam in kg/hr, hout is the enthalpy of steam at outlet in kJ/kg, and hin is the enthalpy of steam at inlet in kJ/kg.

4. What are the key factors that affect steam generator calculations?

The key factors that affect steam generator calculations include the type of fuel used, the operating pressure and temperature of the steam generator, the heat transfer surface area, and the efficiency of the heat exchanger. Other factors such as water quality and boiler blowdown also play a role in these calculations.

5. How do you ensure accurate steam generator calculations?

To ensure accurate steam generator calculations, it is important to use reliable and up-to-date data for properties such as enthalpy, specific heat, and density. It is also essential to consider all the relevant factors and parameters in the calculations, and to use appropriate units and conversions. Regular maintenance and calibration of instruments and equipment used for these calculations can also help in ensuring accuracy.