Calculating Helicity in Non-Relativistic Quantum Mechanics using Pauli Matrices

In summary, the helicity operator in non-relativistic quantum mechanics is given by ##\sigma \cdot p / |p|## and is a 2x2 quantity in spinor space and a 1x1 quantity in 3D physical space. To transform the Pauli matrices into numbers, you can take their determinant. However, for a general state with spin and momentum not aligned, it will not be an eigenstate of the helicity operator.
Tio Barnabe
The helicity in non relativistic quantum mechanics is given by ##\sigma \cdot p / |p|## where ##\sigma## are the pauli matrices and ##p## the momentum. In spinor space, the ##\sigma## are 2x2 matrices, and thus, the helicity, if we calculate it, is a 2x2 quantity. But in 3d physical space, the above equation is an inner product between two three-vectors, because we have three pauli matrices. It's like ##\sigma_i p^i## and thus the helicity is a 1x1 quantity.

My question is, How can I transform the pauli matrices, such that each matrix ##\sigma_i## becomes a number, such that I get the latter result I mentioned above? Maybe taking their determinant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
The helicity in non relativistic quantum mechanics is given by ##\sigma \cdot p / |p|## where ##\sigma## are the pauli matrices and ##p## the momentum. In spinor space, the ##\sigma## are 2x2 matrices, and thus, the helicity, if we calculate it, is a 2x2 quantity. But in 3d physical space, the above equation is an inner product between two three-vectors, because we have three pauli matrices. It's like ##\sigma_i p^i## and thus the helicity is a 1x1 quantity.

My question is, How can I transform the pauli matrices, such that each matrix ##\sigma_i## becomes a number, such that I get the latter result I mentioned above? Maybe taking their determinant?

The Pauli matrices and the corresponding helicity operator ##\sigma \cdot p / |p|## are operators, not scalars. The scalar helicities ##\pm\frac{1}{2}\hbar## are eigenstates of the helicity operator.

Likes vanhees71
mikeyork said:
The scalar helicities ##\pm\frac{1}{2}\hbar## are eigenstates of the helicity operator.
what if we have a general state with spin and momentum not aligned. In this case it will not be an eigenstate of the helicity operator.

Tio Barnabe said:
what if we have a general state with spin and momentum not aligned. In this case it will not be an eigenstate of the helicity operator.
That's right. It will be a superposition -- or a spin eigenstate along another axis.

Likes Tio Barnabe

1. What is helicity in non-relativistic quantum mechanics?

Helicity is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle along its direction of motion. It is a conserved quantity in non-relativistic systems and is represented by the eigenvalues of the Pauli matrices.

2. How do Pauli matrices relate to helicity?

Pauli matrices are a set of 2x2 matrices that represent the spin operators of a particle. The eigenvalues of these matrices correspond to the possible values of helicity for a particle. In non-relativistic systems, the two possible eigenvalues are +1/2 and -1/2, representing the spin-up and spin-down states, respectively.

3. How is helicity calculated using Pauli matrices?

The helicity of a particle can be calculated by taking the dot product of the particle's spin vector with the direction of motion. Mathematically, this is represented by the eigenvalues of the Pauli matrices. The spin-up state corresponds to a positive helicity, while the spin-down state corresponds to a negative helicity.

4. What is the significance of helicity in quantum mechanics?

Helicity is a conserved quantity in non-relativistic systems, meaning that it remains constant throughout a particle's motion. It is also an important property in particle physics, as it is used to classify particles as either fermions or bosons based on their spin and helicity values.

5. Can helicity be measured in experiments?

Yes, helicity can be measured in experiments by using detectors that are sensitive to the spin of particles. For example, in particle accelerators, detectors can measure the direction of a particle's spin, which can then be used to determine its helicity. Additionally, scattering experiments can also provide information about the helicity of particles.