Calculating Horse Moves in Chinese Chess

In summary, the recursive function calculates the number of the way for "horse" to move from one point to another in Chinese Chess, but I cannot get the correct answer. My idea is to sum up the other 8(or less than 8) points' way toward the target.
tommyxu3
I wrote a recursive function to calculate the number of the way for "horse" to move from one point to another in Chinese Chess in the following, but I cannot get the correct answer. My idea is to sum up the other 8(or less than 8) points' way toward the target. Thanks for any opinions in advance!
C:
int ans(int orig_x, int orig_y, int tar_x, int tar_y, int place[][8])
{
    int type[][2]={-1,2,1,2,1,-2,-1,-2,-2,-1,-2,1,2,1,2,-1};
    int next_x,next_y,a[8],b=0,i,j,count_last;
    place[orig_x+1][orig_y+1]=-1;
    place[tar_x+1][tar_y+1]=1;
    for(i=0;i<4;i++)
    {
        next_x=orig_x+type[i][0];
        next_y=orig_y+type[i][1];
        if(place[next_x+1][next_y+1]==1&&place[next_x+1][next_y+type[i][1]/abs(type[i][1])+1]!=2)
        {
            if(next_x==tar_x&&next_y==tar_y)
            {
                count_last=0;
                for(j=0;j<4;j++)
                {
                    if(j=i+(i<2)*2-(i>1)*2)
                        continue;
                    if(place[next_x+type[i][0]+1][next_y+type[i][1]+1]!=1||place[next_x+1][next_y+type[i][1]/abs(type[i][1])+1]==2)
                        count_last+=1;
                }
                for(j=4;j<8;j++)
                {
                    if(place[next_x+type[i][0]+1][next_y+type[i][1]+1]!=1||place[next_x+type[i][0]/abs(type[i][0])+1][next_y+1]==2)
                        count_last+=1;
                }
                if(count_last==7)
                    return 1;
                else
                    a[i]=ans(next_x, next_y, tar_x, tar_y, place)+1;
            }
        }
        else
            a[i]=0;
    }
    for(i=4;i<8;i++)
    {
        next_x=orig_x+type[i][0];
        next_y=orig_y+type[i][1];
        if(place[next_x+1][next_y+1]==1&&place[next_x+type[i][0]/abs(type[i][0])+1][next_y+1]!=2)
        {
            if(next_x==tar_x&&next_y==tar_y)
            {
                count_last=0;
                for(j=0;j<4;j++)
                {
                    if(place[next_x+type[i][0]+1][next_y+type[i][1]+1]!=1||place[next_x+1][next_y+type[i][1]/abs(type[i][1])+1]==2)
                        count_last+=1;
                }
                for(j=4;j<8;j++)
                {
                    if(j=i+(i<6)*2-(i>5)*2)
                        continue;
                    if(place[next_x+type[i][0]+1][next_y+type[i][1]+1]!=1||place[next_x+type[i][0]/abs(type[i][0])][next_y+1]==2)
                        count_last+=1;
                }
                if(count_last==7)
                    return 1;
                else
                    a[i]=ans(next_x, next_y, tar_x, tar_y, place)+1;
            }
        }
        else
            a[i]=0;
    }
    for(i=0;i<7;i++)
        b+=a[i];
    return b;
}

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you stepped through it to see what it is doing? Do you know how to debug errors by stepping through a program?

Yes, but I don't know how to check it in the recursion. I know the numbers in "place[][]"(the board) is correct, but how to check the recursive process?

Why do you think stepping through a recursive process would not work? I do it all the time.

Although I haven't read this code in great detail, I immediately see something about it that I don't like. The recursive call is near the end of the recursive function. I was taught (quite wisely) that the first thing a recursive function should always do is test and see if it's time to stop recurring and just return. The structure of this code is very confusing and definitely needs to be clarified--besides which, we don't really know what you are trying to accomplish.

Frankly, you need comments in at least a few key places. And maybe some more descriptive variable names. This would help you, and help us help you.

If the code is clarified and simplified, you should be able to dump out local variable contents to your GUI and verify that the recursive computation is occurring as you expected. Or else, use a debugger and painfully step through it. But personally, I advise you to rewrite the whole thing again first, with some comments and clarification about what all the different loops and sections are intending to do.

Likes FactChecker
Being developer in C / Java for years, I want to ask why there is no single comment in the code. If you wrote it yourself, it would be a lot easier to add comments in some critical points, so any programmer inspecting it, would give help much easier. This would be great for yourself too, in case you revisit the code after some time. Guesswork in these cases, is not of much help. Everyone has his own way of writing code in any language and this is why comments exist.
The simpler way to go through your program and see what it really does, is putting some "printf" statements to the appropriate places. Recursion is no different as phinds pointed out. Of course, there are many more advanced tools to test / debug your code, going through stepwise procedures, but I mention the one most primitive, if you will. Knowing what your recursion must do and maybe with the help of pen and paper if you need to, you can just compare results and see what is going wrong.

I would like to add to what has already been said that due to lack of comments in your code, if you worked for me you would be in serious trouble. If you are a relatively inexperience coder, I could forgive the sloppiness of the code itself under the assumption that you are not yet quite there in terms of properly formed algorithms, but the lack of comments is inexcusable. I don't say this to be mean to you but to point out the importance of comments.

I've been programming since 1962 and I can tell you ABSOLUTELY that lack of comments in code is just inexcusable and causes grief for everyone, including you.

Likes FactChecker
I agree with all the comments about comments. Here is one word of advice to a programmer -- If someone tells you that comments are not needed or that their code is "self-documenting", poke them in the eye. If they persist, poke them in the other eye.

Likes QuantumQuest and phinds
Yes, above, I realized. It is posted in hurry. I would try more and test. Thanks a lot again!

1. How do you calculate the number of possible moves for a horse in Chinese chess?

To calculate the number of possible moves for a horse in Chinese chess, you need to consider the following factors:

• The horse can move one space horizontally or vertically, and then one space diagonally in any direction.
  • The horse cannot jump over other pieces, so any squares that are blocked by other pieces are not counted as possible moves.
  • The horse cannot move onto a square that is occupied by another piece of the same color.
  • The horse can be blocked by the opponent's pieces, making some of its possible moves unavailable.

By taking these factors into account and analyzing the board, you can determine the exact number of possible moves for a horse in a given position.

2. Can a horse capture multiple pieces in one move in Chinese chess?

No, a horse in Chinese chess can only capture one piece in a single move. The horse can move one space horizontally or vertically, and then one space diagonally in any direction, but it cannot continue its move after capturing a piece. If there are multiple pieces in the horse's path, it can only capture the first piece it encounters.

3. How do you determine the best move for a horse in Chinese chess?

To determine the best move for a horse in Chinese chess, you need to consider several factors, including:

• The position and movement of the opponent's pieces.
  • The positioning of your own pieces on the board.
  • The potential threats to your own pieces.
  • The potential benefits of capturing an opponent's piece.
  • The potential to block or restrict your opponent's moves.

By analyzing these factors, you can determine the most strategic and advantageous move for your horse in a given position.

4. Can a horse be promoted in Chinese chess?

Yes, a horse in Chinese chess can be promoted under certain conditions. If a horse reaches the last three ranks on the opponent's side of the board, it can be promoted to a more powerful piece, usually a general or advisor. This promotion is optional, and the player can choose to keep the horse as it is.

5. How does the horse's movement differ in Chinese chess and Western chess?

In Chinese chess, the horse can only move one space horizontally or vertically, and then one space diagonally in any direction. In Western chess, the horse can move two spaces horizontally or vertically, and then one space diagonally in any direction. Additionally, in Chinese chess, the horse cannot jump over other pieces, while in Western chess, it can jump over other pieces in its path.