Calculating Hybridisation and Existence of a Compound with Boron: A Guide

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Physics lover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, the conversation revolves around the hybridisation and existence of a compound with the formula BO3-. The participants discuss the possibility of the compound's existence and its hybridisation, with one suggesting to check their notes for a similar compound. The conversation also touches upon the shape and structure of the compound, with one participant mentioning the possibility of it being planar. However, another participant argues that the compound is more likely to have a hybridisation of sp3 rather than sp2. Overall, the question remains unclear and requires further clarification from an instructor.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The question asked the hybridisation and shape of ##BO_3^-##
Relevant Equations
N=##(X+Y-C+A)/2##
where C is positive charge on the compound
A is negative charge on the compound
X is valence electrons of central atom
Y is no. of univalent side atoms.
If N=2,then sp.
One would easily calculate its hybridisation by the above formula which comes out to be sp.
But my doubt is that will the compound even exist?As boron will become electron deficient and how we will calculate no. of bond pairs and lone pairs.Please clear my doubt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
One would easily calculate its hybridisation by the above formula which comes out to be sp.
But my doubt is that will the compound even exist?As boron will become electron deficient and how we will calculate no. of bond pairs and lone pairs.Please clear my doubt.

Have you tried to draw the lewis structure??

Javier0289 said:
Have you tried to draw the lewis structure??
yes not able to draw it,that's why i asked here.

Physics lover said:
yes not able to draw it,that's why i asked here.
If your doubt is only the existence, there's sodium perborate. Check your notes and the formula because there isn't a sp Boron in the lewis structure of such compound

Javier0289 said:
If your doubt is only the existence, there's sodium perborate. Check your notes and the formula because there isn't a sp Boron in the lewis structure of such compound
Thanks i got it.It's ##sp^2## hybridised and i think it is planar too isn't it?

Physics lover said:
Thanks i got it.It's ##sp^2## hybridised and i think it is planar too isn't it?
I don't think is planar, the boron has more character $$sp^3$$... nevertheless you can check it out with the lewis structure in the internet and do an analysis (bond order, paired and unpaired electrons, etc)

Physics lover said:
Homework Statement: The question asked the hybridisation and shape of ##BO_3^-##

I don't think BO3- exists or if it does, it is not a very common species. [BO3]3- does exist, however. Perhaps you can clarify with your instructor if BO3- is the correct formula.

Ha ha! Formula for perborate this is...
Chemical formula is not the same as empirical formula. Tricksy, tricksy!

1. What is hybridisation and why is it important?

Hybridisation is a concept in chemistry that describes the mixing of atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals. It is important because it helps us understand the bonding and shape of molecules, which is crucial in predicting their properties and reactivity.

2. How do you calculate the hybridisation of a compound with boron?

To calculate the hybridisation of a compound with boron, you need to first determine the number of valence electrons in boron. Boron has three valence electrons, so it will form three bonds. The number of hybrid orbitals needed is equal to the number of bonds formed, so boron will undergo sp2 hybridisation, where one s orbital and two p orbitals combine to form three sp2 hybrid orbitals.

3. What is the difference between sp, sp2, and sp3 hybridisation?

Sp, sp2, and sp3 hybridisation are different types of hybridisation that occur when s and p orbitals combine. Sp hybridisation occurs when one s orbital and one p orbital combine to form two sp hybrid orbitals. Sp2 hybridisation occurs when one s orbital and two p orbitals combine to form three sp2 hybrid orbitals. Sp3 hybridisation occurs when one s orbital and three p orbitals combine to form four sp3 hybrid orbitals. The main difference between them is the number of hybrid orbitals formed and the bond angle associated with each hybridisation.

4. How do you determine the existence of a compound with boron?

To determine the existence of a compound with boron, you need to consider the number of valence electrons in boron and the number of bonds it can form. Boron typically forms three bonds, so it will usually exist in compounds with other elements that can contribute the remaining electrons needed for a stable octet. Additionally, the electronegativity of the other elements will also play a role in determining the existence of a compound with boron.

5. Can boron have multiple hybridisations in a compound?

Yes, it is possible for boron to have multiple hybridisations in a compound. This can occur in molecules with multiple boron atoms, where some may undergo sp hybridisation while others undergo sp2 or sp3 hybridisation. It can also happen in compounds with other elements that can influence the hybridisation of boron, such as nitrogen or oxygen. The specific hybridisation of each boron atom will depend on its bonding environment and the overall structure of the molecule.