Calculating Induced EMF using Faraday's Law: A Magnetic Flux Problem Solved

In summary, the question asks for the average value of the e.m.f. induced in a coil of 1200 turns when a magnetic flux of 400 micro-webers is reversed in 0.1 seconds. Using Faraday's Law, the e.m.f. can be calculated by finding the derivative of the magnetic flux as a function of time. However, this information is not provided in the question. The conversation then delves into discussing the orientation of the field lines at different times, but it is not clear how this information can be applied to solving the problem.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

A magnetic flux of 400 micro-webers passing through a coil of 1200 turns is reversed in 0.1 sec. Calculate the average value of the e.m.f. induced in the coil. (Hint use Faraday's Law)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that

phi = F/R Wb

phi is flux
F is magnetomotive force MMF
R is reluctance

I also know that

F = N I

F is the MMF
N is the number of turns in the coil
I is the current in each turn

I now that faradays law is

E = - N * d[phi_B]/dt

Where E is the electromotive force (EMF)
N is the number of turns in each coil
phi_B is the magnetic flux through a single loop

Given:
phi_B = 400 micro Wb
N = 1200 turns
t = 0.1 s
solve for E

I don't see how to solve this problem. I know phi_B but not the derivative of it as a function of time. I also don't know the current. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the magnetic flux changes at a constant rate, and it has a value of 400 microwebers right now, what will its value be 0.05 seconds from now?

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure
phi = kt
phi(t=0) = 400 microwebers = 0
this can't be right so it has to be of the form
phi = kt + phi_o
phi = kt + 400 uW

phi(t=0.1s) = k(0.1) + 400 uW

I believe this is what it would be in 0.1 s but I'm not sure how that would work into the problem.

d[phi(t=0.1s)]/dt = k
So E = - N*k
I know N but I don't know E or k. What could I do once I know phi(t=0.1s) without knowing the constant rate of change for phi?

Thanks for your help!

You're thinking about the math. Think first about the coil and the field lines. What do they look like when the flux is 400 microwebers? What do they look like 0.1 s later when the field has reversed its direction?

I believe the filed lines come out of the positive side of the coil and enter the negative side of the coil. When the magnetic filed is reversed the current flows in the opposite direction, and the magnetic flux goes from counter clockwise to clockwise? This is by the right hand rule I believe. But I'm not sure how this helps? The filed lines are the same but have a different orientation. I'm not sure how this helps? Thanks for your help.

YoshiMoshi said:
I believe the filed lines come out of the positive side of the coil and enter the negative side of the coil.

That's a valid way to describe the way the field lines look at time t = 0.

When the magnetic filed is reversed the current flows in the opposite direction, and the magnetic flux goes from counter clockwise to clockwise?

That's not a description of the field lines. Picture them in your mind and tell us what they look like at time t = 0.1 s.

Once you answer that I shall ask you what they look like at time t = 0.05 s.

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between changing magnetic fields and induced electric currents. It states that the magnitude of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.

2. Who discovered Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law was discovered by British scientist Michael Faraday in the 1830s. He conducted experiments with electromagnetism and discovered the relationship between changing magnetic fields and induced electric currents.

3. How does Faraday's Law apply to everyday life?

Faraday's Law is the basis for many important technologies that we use in our daily lives, such as electric generators, motors, and transformers. It also explains the operation of devices like headphones and speakers, which use electromagnetic induction to convert electrical signals into sound waves.

4. What is the difference between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law are both principles that describe the relationship between changing magnetic fields and induced electric currents. The main difference is that Faraday's Law describes the magnitude of the induced current, while Lenz's Law describes the direction of the induced current.

5. How is Faraday's Law related to electromagnetic waves?

Faraday's Law is closely related to the concept of electromagnetic waves. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field, which in turn can induce an electric current in another wire. This is the basis for the transmission of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, which are used for communication and broadcasting.