Calculating Iron (II) Sulfide: Stoichiometry Help & Equation Explanation

• Thread starter nduncan2010
  • Start date
In summary, the correct molar ratio between iron and iron (II) sulfide is 1:1. To produce 56.8 grams of iron (II) sulfide, you would need 36.1 grams of iron. The equation is Fe + S --> FeS.
nduncan2010
stoichiometry--hellp please!

1. How much Iron should be combined with sulfur to produce 56.8 grams of iron (II) Sulfide

3. ok.. so this is what i have ..
Fe + S ----> FeS ----correct??

Then. molar ratios are 1-1-1..
The molar ration between Fe and FeS is 1:1
Fe-55.8
S-32.1
--------
= 87.9

56.8 /87.9 *1*55.8 = 36.1 g FeS.. is this correct? the wording in the equation is different then all of the other equations on my worksheet soo I am not sure if this is right.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your type-setting or your text formatting is not good. You want to show as:
(56.8 /87.9) *1*55.8 = 36.1 g Fe
That then would be good.

NOTE: why the forum does not allow text strike-out? I meant to show previous post's answer for FeS which was wrong, and then make a 'scratch' mark through the S; because the 36.1 grams is for the IRON.

Last edited:

ohhh yeahh . I messed the label up... oops.. thanks for catching that!

What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between the reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

Why is stoichiometry important?

Stoichiometry allows us to accurately predict how much product will be formed from a given amount of reactants, and vice versa. It is also crucial in determining the limiting reactant in a reaction and the theoretical yield of a product.

How do you solve stoichiometry problems?

To solve a stoichiometry problem, you must first write a balanced chemical equation. Then, use the coefficients in the equation to determine the mole ratio between the given reactant and desired product. Finally, use the mole ratio to calculate the amount of product or reactant based on the given information.

What units are used in stoichiometry?

In stoichiometry, we use units of moles (mol) to represent the amount of a substance. The molar ratio is also commonly used to relate the amounts of different substances in a reaction.

Can you use stoichiometry for any type of chemical reaction?

Yes, stoichiometry can be used for any type of chemical reaction as long as it is balanced. However, it is important to note that stoichiometry assumes ideal conditions and may not always be accurate in real-world situations.