Calculating Jet Engine Thrust and Power | Rocket Thrust Question

In summary, the problem involves finding the thrust and power of a jet engine that is traveling at 246 m/s in horizontal flight. The engine has an air intake rate of 77.0 kg/s and fuel burn rate of 4.00 kg/s. The exhaust gases are ejected at 633 m/s relative to the aircraft. The solution involves calculating the change in momentum, which is equal to the average force multiplied by the time. However, the specific approach for finding the solution is not provided.
mwingboy

Homework Statement

A jet aircraft is traveling at 246 m/s in horizontal flight. The engine takes in air at a rate of 77.0 kg/s and burns fuel at a rate of 4.00 kg/s. If the exhaust gases are ejected at 633 m/s relative to the aircraft, find the thrust of the jet engine and the delivered power.

find thrust and power

ive tried everything! even my teacher couldn't get the problem. but i refuse to just accept that i can't get it..please help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've tried everything maybe you could show at least some of it.

ahh yes, sorry about that.

here's what i know. i know that it change in momentum is obviously is impulse. So i have it set to a 1 second time frame, and i found:

initial momentum = ((77 kg + 4 kg) * 246 m/s) = 19926 kg*m/s
TOTAL MASS * VELOCITY = Momentum

final momentum = ((77 kg + 4 kg) * -387 m/s) = -31347 kg*m/s
TOTAL MASS * VELOCITY = Momentum

the change in that would become the average force because impulse (which is change in momentum) is equal to average force * time. and the time is set to 1 in this instance.

anybody see flaws in the thinking?

1. What is rocket thrust?

Rocket thrust is the force produced by the exhaust gases of a rocket engine as they are expelled from the nozzle. This force propels the rocket in the opposite direction, according to Newton's Third Law of Motion.

2. How is rocket thrust created?

Rocket thrust is created by burning a propellant, usually a mixture of fuel and oxidizer, in the combustion chamber of a rocket engine. This produces a high-pressure and high-velocity stream of exhaust gases that are expelled through the nozzle, creating thrust.

3. What factors affect rocket thrust?

The amount of thrust produced by a rocket engine depends on several factors, including the type and amount of propellant, the design and size of the nozzle, and the operating pressure and temperature of the engine. The overall design and aerodynamics of the rocket also play a role in determining the thrust produced.

4. How is rocket thrust measured?

Rocket thrust is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. The thrust produced by a rocket engine can be measured using a thrust stand, which uses a load cell to measure the force exerted by the rocket's exhaust gases. The specific impulse (Isp) of a rocket engine is also a commonly used measure of its thrust efficiency.

5. How is rocket thrust used in space travel?

Rocket thrust is crucial for launching rockets into space and for maneuvering spacecraft once they are in orbit. The amount of thrust required for a particular mission depends on the mass of the rocket and spacecraft, as well as the distance and speed that need to be achieved. In space, rocket engines are also used to make course corrections and adjustments to spacecraft trajectories.