Calculating Ka Values of H3PO4 from Titration Data

• Thread starter chadwip
  • Start date
In summary, the task is to determine the Ka values of H3PO4 based on titration data. The first equivalence point was reached at 4.76 mL with a pH of 4.65 and the second equivalence point was reached at 9.41 mL with a pH of 9.23. The equation pKa = pH at 1/2 the second EP was used, resulting in a calculated pKa2 value of 1.51*10^(-7), which differs from the accepted value of 6.8*10^(-8). The question of whether thermodynamic corrections were taken into account was raised.
chadwip

Homework Statement

I need to determine the Ka values of H3PO4 having titrated a solution of H3PO4 and HCl with 0.1142 M NaOH. The concentrations of H3PO4 and HCl were found to be 0.106 M and 0.003 M respectively. The first EP was reached at 4.76 mL with a pH of 4.65 and the second EP was reached at 9.41 mL and a pH of 9.23.

Homework Equations

Kw=Ka*Kb
pH=pKa+log([A-]/[HA])
Ka=([H+][H2PO4-])/[H3PO4]

The Attempt at a Solution

Struggled with this for a while now and I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Attempted to use the fact that pKa = pH at 1/2 the EP for the second EP received an answer of 1.51*10^(-7), which is about an order of magnitude off of the accepted pKa2 of 6.8*10^(-8). Not sure how this could be - all of the HCl has been neutralized and you are just converting H2PO4- to HPO4 2-, however this is all based off data I collected. I'm not even sure how to determine the first Ka value or even where to start. I don't believe you can say that pKa=pH at 1/2 the first EP because you still have the HCl in solution. Not sure how else you could go about solving it. Any help would be great appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken into account thermodynamic corrections?

1. What is the Ka value of H3PO4?

The Ka value of H3PO4, also known as phosphoric acid, is around 7.5 x 10^-3 at room temperature.

2. How is the Ka value of H3PO4 determined?

The Ka value of H3PO4 can be determined experimentally by titrating a known concentration of the acid with a strong base and measuring the pH at different points. From the pH values, the Ka value can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

3. What factors can affect the Ka value of H3PO4?

The Ka value of H3PO4 can be affected by temperature, ionic strength, and the presence of other ions in the solution. Increasing temperature and ionic strength can increase the Ka value, while the presence of other ions can decrease it.

4. Why is it important to know the Ka value of H3PO4?

The Ka value of H3PO4 is important because it is a measure of the acid's strength and its ability to donate protons in a solution. This information is useful in determining the acidity or basicity of a solution and in predicting how the acid will react with other substances.

5. Can the Ka value of H3PO4 change?

Yes, the Ka value of H3PO4 can change depending on the conditions of the solution. As mentioned earlier, temperature, ionic strength, and the presence of other ions can affect the Ka value. Additionally, the Ka value can also change if the concentration of the acid is altered.