What Is the Kinetic Energy of a Proton at 1/4 the Speed of Light?

In summary, the deBroglie wavelength of a proton moving at 1/4 the speed of light can be calculated using the deBroglie equation, but the kinetic energy of the proton must be calculated using the relativistic momentum and kinetic energy equations. The comparison between classical and relativistic kinetic energy is important in understanding the concept of ##p^2/2m## in the context of Einstein's famous equation ##E=mc^2##.
FlorenceC

Homework Statement

Calculate the deBroglie wavelength of a proton moving at 1/4 the speed of light.

How does the kinetic energy of this proton compare to its p^2 /2m?

What does p^2 / 2m anyway conceptually (isn't it one of the triangle thingies in the lower version of E=mc^2)?

Homework Equations

deBroglie equation

The Attempt at a Solution

hf = KE + phi
lambda = h/mv
v = 0.25c, m = proton
that calculates lambda
then lambda = c/f to find frequency ...but i don't know how to find KE. (is it just 1/2mv^2?)

Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac{P^2}{2m}## is nothing but the kinetic energy in terms of momentum right?
I'm not sure but since they've given velocity to be in terms of "speed of light" don't you think you should consider the relativistic mass?

Likes blue_leaf77
Your equation hf = KE + phi is the photoelectric effect equation.

The de Broglie wavelength, λd = h/p, where as Suraj says you need to insert the relativistic momentum of a proton p = γmv. Where γ is the ubiquitous relativistic factor. Try this and if you get what I'm saying let me know.

FlorenceC said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the deBroglie wavelength of a proton moving at 1/4 the speed of light.

What does p^2 / 2m anyway conceptually (isn't it one of the triangle thingies in the lower version of E=mc^2)?

Homework Equations

deBroglie equation

hf = KE + phi
lambda = h/mv
v = 0.25c, m = proton
that calculates lambda
then lambda = c/f to find frequency ...but i don't know how to find KE. (is it just 1/2mv^2?)

FlorenceC said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

deBroglie equation

hf = KE + phi
lambda = h/mv
v = 0.25c, m = proton
that calculates lambda
I think you are being asked to compare classical kinetic energy ##(1/2) m v^2## with relativistic kinetic energy ##m c^2 (\gamma - 1)##, where ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}##.

Related to What Is the Kinetic Energy of a Proton at 1/4 the Speed of Light?

1. How do you calculate kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its velocity, and then dividing by two. The equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy is joules (J). However, it can also be measured in other units such as kilojoules (kJ) or ergs (erg).

3. Does the direction of motion affect kinetic energy?

No, the direction of motion does not affect kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and not direction.

4. How does mass and velocity affect kinetic energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the more kinetic energy it has. Similarly, the higher the velocity of an object, the more kinetic energy it has. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to both mass and velocity.

5. Can an object have kinetic energy at rest?

No, an object cannot have kinetic energy at rest. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, so an object must be in motion to have kinetic energy.