Calculating Launch Speed for a Catapult with Drag Force

• Thread starter juju1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, two students, Joe and Jane Fisycks, made a catapult using a spring with a spring constant of 101 N/m. They launched a tennis ball with a mass of 0.0579 kg and a drag force acting on it. When loaded, the spring was stretched 0.477 m and the ball was at ground level. After firing, the ball reached a height of 0.567 m above ground level. Using the equations .5kx^2 and (.5mv_1^2)+(mgy_1)+Dx, a launch speed of 19.7 m/s was calculated when there is no drag force present.
juju1

Homework Statement

Two students, Joe and Jane Fisycks, make a catapult. They use a spring with a spring constant of 101 N/m to launch a tennis ball. When the catapult is loaded, the spring is stretched 0.477 m. This is also the distance the tennis ball travels as it is being fired by the catapult. When loaded, the tennis ball is at ground level. When it leaves the catapult, it is 0.567 m above ground level. A drag force D acts on the tennis ball as it is being fired. The tennis ball's mass is 0.0579 kg.

(e) If there were no drag, what launch speed would the tennis ball have? (find v_1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found the equations when it is ready to fire and after it fires
.5kx^2 and (.5mv_1^2)+(mgy_1)+Dx

i put these two equations together to solve for v_1, yet I still am not getting a right answer.

my v_1 equation is sqrt( (.5kx^2 - mgy_1) / (.5m) )

i plugged in 101N/m for k
0.477 m for y_1
0.0578 for m
9.8 for g
0.567 for x

what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you might have switched the values of x and y1.

so 19.659 m/s?

juju1 said:
so 19.659 m/s?
I believe that's right. Note that the mass is given to be 0.0579 kg, but you later wrote 0.578 kg. (Not a very significant difference.)

How many significant figures should the answer have?

3 sigfigs! So rather: 19.7 m/s

Likes TSny
juju1 said:
3 sigfigs! So rather: 19.7 m/s
Yes. That's essentially what I got, too. (19.6 m/s)

1. What is non-conservative physics?

Non-conservative physics refers to any area of physics that involves forces or systems that do not follow the law of conservation of energy. This means that energy is not always conserved in these systems, and energy can be transferred or lost through various processes.

2. How is non-conservative physics different from conservative physics?

Conservative physics follows the law of conservation of energy, meaning that energy is always conserved in a system. Non-conservative physics, on the other hand, involves systems where energy may be lost or transferred through various processes.

3. What are examples of non-conservative forces?

Examples of non-conservative forces include friction, air resistance, and drag. These forces can cause energy to be lost or transferred in a system, making them non-conservative.

4. What are some real-world applications of non-conservative physics?

Non-conservative physics has numerous real-world applications, such as in designing efficient vehicles that can reduce drag and air resistance, in understanding and predicting the effects of friction in engineering projects, and in studying the transfer of energy in biological systems.

5. How is energy calculated in non-conservative systems?

In non-conservative systems, energy is not conserved, so it cannot be calculated using the traditional methods of conservative systems. Instead, energy is calculated using the principle of work-energy theorem, which takes into account the work done by non-conservative forces in a system.