Calculating Length Along X-Axis for a Rotating Line

In summary, the formula to find the length along the x-axis directly under the other end of a rotating line is x = 10mm * cos (angle a). This can also be calculated using the cosine, sine, or tangent trigonometric functions.
karen_lorr
Hi

(I hope this is the right place to post this - sorry if it's not)

Say I have a line (in the graphic is shown a 10mm but it could be any length) and it rotates around a point at one end.

What is the formula to get the length along the x-axis directly under the other end of the line. In the graphic that would be the distance between points a and x.

Thanks

K

The image is not showing so here is the link the my Hotmail onedrive file
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlXOOGaTv36QeRu1RrJucYZFTB0

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlXOOGaTv36QeRu1RrJucYZFTB0

EDIT - I have tried using a Taylor Series but it's been a long time since I was a school :-)
It's simple on a calculator with the cosine of the angle and the line as a hypotenous but I am trying to get the maths formula.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is ##x = 10 \, mm \cdot \cos (\angle{a})##.
In a right triangle ##\cos (a) = \frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse} \; , \; sin (a) = \frac{opposite}{hypotenuse}## and ##tan (a) = \frac{opposite}{adjacent}.##

for angle ##a## made by line with x axis,length along x-axis will be ##10\ cos(a)##

Related to Calculating Length Along X-Axis for a Rotating Line

1. What is a rotating line on the x axis point?

A rotating line on the x axis point is a line that is rotating around a fixed point on the x axis, which is known as the center of rotation. This type of movement is also known as circular motion.

2. How is the rotation of a line on the x axis point measured?

The rotation of a line on the x axis point is typically measured in degrees or radians. One full rotation around the center of rotation is equal to 360 degrees or 2π radians.

3. What factors affect the rotation of a line on the x axis point?

The rotation of a line on the x axis point is affected by the distance of the line from the center of rotation, the speed of rotation, and the direction of rotation (clockwise or counterclockwise).

4. How is the rotation of a line on the x axis point used in science?

The rotation of a line on the x axis point is used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to study circular motion, calculate angular velocity and acceleration, and analyze the movement of celestial objects.

5. Can the rotation of a line on the x axis point be changed?

Yes, the rotation of a line on the x axis point can be changed by altering the distance from the center of rotation, the speed of rotation, or the direction of rotation. It can also be affected by external forces such as friction or gravity.