Calculating Magnetic Field Strength and Direction in a Multi-Wire System

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the magnetic field strength and direction at different points. The person is unsure of their answer and is asking for help. They provide the relevant equations and their attempt at a solution, but mention that they are missing a picture and need further instruction.
griercorleone
please help??

1. Homework Statement

I got 1/2 of this problem right, but I am not sure of the other part. I have attached the picture. The questions are as follows (with the answers that I am sure of) --

What is the magnetic field strength at point 1 in the figure?
What is the magnetic field direction at point 1 in the figure? (out of the page)
What is the magnetic field strength at point 2 in the figure?
What is the magnetic field direction at point 2 in the figure? (in to the page)
What is the magnetic field strength at point 3 in the figure?
What is the magnetic field direction at point 3 in the figure? (out of the page)

2. Homework Equations

B = permeability constant * I/ 2(pi)r

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Well, for the first one example, this is what I did.

(1.257*10e-6)*(10)/2(pi)(.02m) = 1*10e-4

This is not correct however? Can someone give me some instruction? And for the second and third ones, which wire am I calculating from?

Physics news on Phys.org

You haven't attached a picture.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field Strength and Direction in a Multi-Wire System

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is a quantitative measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a given point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which contains a magnetic sensor that detects the strength of the magnetic field at a specific location. The sensor is usually calibrated to provide readings in units of T or G.

3. What factors affect magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic source, the distance from the source, and the material properties of the medium through which the magnetic field passes. Additionally, the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of measurement can also affect the measured strength.

4. How does magnetic field strength impact objects?

Objects with magnetic properties, such as iron or steel, will experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field will determine the magnitude of this force. Additionally, the magnetic field strength can also affect the behavior of electrical currents passing through a conductor.

5. How can magnetic field strength be manipulated?

Magnetic field strength can be manipulated using various methods, such as changing the distance from the source, altering the orientation of the magnetic field, or using materials with different magnetic properties. Magnetic fields can also be amplified or weakened by using multiple magnets in a specific configuration.