Calculating magnitude of electric field at center of square

In summary, we need to find the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at the center of a square array of charges. After attempting to draw the force vectors and realizing that the +3q and +q charges can be ignored, we have an equation of E = 4k q^2/d^2. However, this is incorrect as it is missing the -5q charge, so the correct equation is E = k(9q/(\sqrt 2 * d)). We also need to resolve this into its x and y components before taking the square root of their squares for the magnitude.
Physics2341313

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude and direction of net electric field at the center of the square array of charges. Find [itex] E_x and E_y [/itex]

The square array of charges http://postimg.org/image/4gf94ymmf/

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My attempt at drawing in the force vectors http://postimg.org/image/mae0fm1d9/ . Now the +3q and +q's should contribute a net of zero to the electric field and they can be ignored. So, we have [itex] E = k [ -2q^2 / d^2 + q^2/d^2 + 5q^2/d^2] = 4k q^2/d^2[/itex]

Taking the x-component of the field we have
[itex] E_x = (4k q^2/d^2)cos(45)[/itex]

the y-component:
[itex] E_x = (4k q^2/d^2)sin(45)[/itex]

This isn't right or I would not be posting here... so what am I doing wrong? I'm really not understanding how to do these types of problems for net fields in squares. Have I even drawn the vectors correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics2341313 said:
k[−2q 2 /d 2 +q 2 /d 2 +5q 2 /d 2 ]=
You're missing a term.

The missing term is the -5q charge, yes? So it should be
[itex]E=k[−2q/(\sqrt2 * d)+q/(\sqrt 2 * d) + 2(5q/(\sqrt 2 * d))= k[9q / (\sqrt 2 * d)][/itex]

Also, changed q^2 to q since this is the electric field not force... silly mistake, and the bottom term should be [itex] \sqrt 2 * d [/itex] instead of d^2?

This is still incorrect is not? I'm really not seeing what I'm missing here.

Methinks that should do almost do it (dumped the picture, so I'm going by memory); the "two" and "one" are both on axes? In which case "d."

Bystander said:
Methinks that should do almost do it (dumped the picture, so I'm going by memory); the "two" and "one" are both on axes? In which case "d."
Ah fair point forgot about those being strictly on the x-axis, so need to fix that then resolve into E_x and E_y for the respective terms and then take the square root of those squared for the magnitude.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field at the center of a square?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field at the center of a square is E = kQ/a², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm²/C²), Q is the total charge of the square, and a is the length of one side of the square.

2. How is the direction of the electric field at the center of a square determined?

The direction of the electric field at the center of a square is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields from each charged particle in the square. The overall direction of the electric field is the vector sum of these individual electric fields.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of electric field at the center of a square?

The magnitude of electric field at the center of a square is affected by the total charge of the square, the distance of the square from the center, and the size of the square. The larger the charge and the closer the square is to the center, the stronger the electric field will be.

4. Can the magnitude of electric field at the center of a square be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electric field at the center of a square can be negative. This means that the direction of the electric field is in the opposite direction of the positive charge in the square.

5. How is the electric field at the center of a square affected if the square is rotated?

If the square is rotated, the electric field at the center will not be affected as long as the distance from the center to each charged particle remains the same. However, if the distance changes, the electric field will also change in magnitude and direction.