Calculating magnitude of the acceleration of two ocean liners

In summary, the conversation involved the difficulty of dealing with large hand-drawn equations, and the individual provided an incorrect calculation for a formula involving mass, distance, and force. They then correctly applied the formula for force to obtain an acceleration, but mistakenly labeled it as a force and provided incorrect units.
naushaan
Homework Statement
Two ocean liners, each with a mass of 42,000 metric tons, are moving on parallel courses, 92 m apart. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of one of the liners toward the other due to their mutual gravitational attraction? Treat the ships as particles.

I've calculated the Force but I'm struggling to calculate acceleration.
Relevant Equations
F=GMm/r^2
F=ma
1583839005655.png

This is what I've done so far:

1583839127403.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to deal with large pictures of hand-drawn equations rather than with typewritten equations. Let us try to see what you did.

You started with $$\frac{GMm}{r^2}$$ and substituted in numbers for M, m and r yielding $$\frac{G (42000\times1000)^2}{92^2}$$

But I cannot figure out how you arrived at ##6.6\times10^{-7}## as a result.

Then you go back and apply ##F=ma## to the algebraic formula ##F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}## to correctly decide that $$a=\frac{Gm}{r^2}$$ You then evaluate this with m=42000000 and r=92 to obtain ##3.31\times10^{-7}##. But for some reason you decide that this result is a force rather than an acceleration and give it units of Newtons.

jbriggs444 said:
But I cannot figure out how you arrived at 6.6×10−7 as a result.
He wrote and calculated (42000 x 1000) x2 instead of (42000 x 1000)^2

Likes jbriggs444
mjc123 said:
He wrote and calculated (42000 x 1000) x2 instead of (42000 x 1000)^2
Thank you for that. I saw what I had expected to see rather than what was actually there.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of acceleration of two ocean liners?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of acceleration of two ocean liners is a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How do you determine the initial and final velocities of the ocean liners?

The initial and final velocities of the ocean liners can be determined by recording their speeds at two different points in time and calculating the difference between the two.

3. What units are used to measure acceleration in this calculation?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in this calculation.

4. Can the magnitude of acceleration be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of acceleration can be negative if the ocean liners are decelerating, meaning their velocity is decreasing over time.

5. How does the mass of the ocean liners affect the magnitude of acceleration?

The mass of the ocean liners does not directly affect the magnitude of acceleration, as the formula only takes into account the change in velocity and time. However, a heavier ocean liner may require more force to accelerate at the same rate as a lighter one.