Calculating mass of the atmosphere

In summary, the task was to calculate the total atmospheric mass between 25S and 25N, between the pressure levels 300mb and 200mb, assuming the Earth is a perfect sphere. The equation used was the volume of a cylinder, and the radius of the Earth and the conversion factor of 1 degree latitude equaling 111km were also given. The attempt at solving the problem included approximating the heights of the pressure levels and using the volume of the Earth at those levels to find the volume between them. However, there may be a way to solve this without estimating pressure heights.
JerzeyDevil

Homework Statement

Calculate the total atmospheric mass between 25S and 25N, between the pressure levels 300mb and 200mb. Assume the Earth is a perfect sphere.

Homework Equations

Radius of the Earth = 6378km
1 degree latitude = 111km
volume of cylinder = pi*r^2*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this solution using approximate, average heights of the 200 and 300mb pressure levels, and assuming the "band" of 25N and 25S is a cylinder. From here, I found the volume of the Earth up to 200mb and subtracted it from the volume of the Earth at 200mb, to get the volume between 200 and 300mb. However, my professor said there was a way to do this without estimating pressure heights, and I am unsure how to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get the answer to this in the end or is it still open?

Related to Calculating mass of the atmosphere

What is the mass of the Earth's atmosphere?

The mass of the Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5.5 quadrillion tons or 5.5 x 10^18 kilograms.

How is the mass of the atmosphere calculated?

The mass of the Earth's atmosphere is calculated by multiplying the average air density with the total volume of the atmosphere. The average air density is determined by measuring the atmospheric pressure and temperature at different altitudes.

What is the unit of measurement for atmospheric mass?

The unit of measurement for atmospheric mass is kilograms (kg) or metric tons (t). Some sources may also use pounds (lbs) or tons (US or UK).

Does the mass of the atmosphere change?

Yes, the mass of the atmosphere can change due to various factors such as changes in temperature, humidity, and air pressure. Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, can also contribute to changes in atmospheric mass.

Why is it important to calculate the mass of the atmosphere?

Calculating the mass of the atmosphere helps scientists understand the composition and behavior of the Earth's atmosphere. It also plays a crucial role in studying climate change and predicting weather patterns.