How is the popular estimate of the Earth's atmospheric mass correct?

In summary: There is a number floating around on the internet that says that the mass of the Earth's atmosphere is about 5 quintillion kilograms. The way that that number was calculated was through knowing that per square meter of surface area at sea level, about 100,000 Newtons of force is applied, which then translated into kilograms per force is about 10,000 KpF, and then you just multiply that per square meter number with the Earth's surface area in meters.Now what I am puzzled by is that since temperature affects the pressure, if for some reason the temperature suddenly dropped to about -50 degrees celsius globally, the pressure would too,The way that the number was calculated assumes that the atmospheric pressure is a static, uniform value
Dreksler
TL;DR Summary
How is the popular estimate of the Earth's atmospheric mass correct if it is just based on the force applied per a certain surface area?
There is a number floating around on the internet that says that the mass of the Earth's atmosphere is about 5 quintillion kilograms. The way that that number was calculated was through knowing that per square meter of surface area at sea level, about 100,000 Newtons of force is applied, which then translated into kilograms per force is about 10,000 KpF, and then you just multiply that per square meter number with the Earth's surface area in meters.

Now what I am puzzled by is that since temperature affects the pressure, if for some reason the temperature suddenly dropped to about -50 degrees celsius globally, the pressure would too, meaning that a lower amount Newtons will be applied per squared meter, leading to a lower KpF number which then leads to a lower estimate of the Earth's mass through that method.

So then how is the 5 quintillion kilograms of total atmospheric mass of the Earth a correct number if the number is just based on the force applied? I am assuming that I am missing something large in my reasoning here so that is why I am asking for some clarification here on that number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dreksler said:
temperature affects the pressure,
You mean in a container? Is the atmosphere enclosed in a container?

Dreksler said:
if for some reason the temperature suddenly dropped to about -50 degrees celsius globally, the pressure would too,
In desert areas the temperature drops almost that much during the night. Does this effect the atmospheric pressure substantially?

Likes Dreksler and Dale
Dreksler said:
Summary:: How is the popular estimate of the Earth's atmospheric mass correct if it is just based on the force applied per a certain surface area?

Now what I am puzzled by is that since temperature affects the pressure, if for some reason the temperature suddenly dropped to about -50 degrees celsius globally, the pressure would too,
The ideal gas law is ##PV= nRT##. So (with ##n## and ##R## constant) a change in ##T## implies a change in ##PV## which is not the same as a change in ##P##.

Likes Dreksler
Does changing the temperature change the weight of a 1 m^2 column of air above the surface?

Chestermiller said:
Does changing the temperature change the weight of a 1 m^2 column of air above the surface?
No, but I can see his point nonetheless. Changing the temp would make it difficult to determine the pressure (average global), which is what is being used to calculate the weight.

DaveC426913 said:
No, but I can see his point nonetheless. Changing the temp would make it difficult to determine the pressure (average global), which is what is being used to calculate the weight.
The global average pressure at the surface (sea level) is known. See the U.S. Standard Atmosphere. It comes out to what we call 1 atm. How accurately do you need it?

Likes russ_watters
Dreksler said:
since temperature affects the pressure, if for some reason the temperature suddenly dropped to about -50 degrees celsius globally, the pressure would too, meaning that a lower amount Newtons will be applied per squared meter, leading to a lower KpF number which then leads to a lower estimate of the Earth's mass through that method.
No matter what the temperature, there's still the same mass of air, and close enough the same weight. Water vapour messes with that, somewhat.

Chestermiller said:
The global average pressure at the surface (sea level) is known. See the U.S. Standard Atmosphere. It comes out to what we call 1 atm. How accurately do you need it?
Ah. Right. I assumed one was measuring it locally and extrapolating.

Dreksler said:
So then how is the 5 quintillion kilograms of total atmospheric mass of the Earth a correct number if the number is just based on the force applied? I am assuming that I am missing something large in my reasoning here so that is why I am asking for some clarification here on that number.
Since the area of the Earth's surface does not change, and the total mass of the atmosphere does not change significantly over the measurement period, the average air pressure over the entire Earth's surface must remain constant.

If you consider thermal changes in local, regional, or global air density, then you are overthinking the elegant solution.

1. What is the popular estimate of the Earth's atmospheric mass?

The popular estimate of the Earth's atmospheric mass is approximately 5.1480 × 10^18 kilograms.

2. How was this estimate calculated?

This estimate was calculated using a combination of satellite measurements, atmospheric models, and data from weather balloons and other instruments.

3. Is this estimate considered accurate?

Yes, the popular estimate of the Earth's atmospheric mass is considered accurate within a certain margin of error. However, it is important to note that this estimate may vary slightly depending on the source and method used for calculation.

4. How does the Earth's atmospheric mass compare to other planets?

The Earth's atmospheric mass is relatively large compared to other planets in our solar system. It is second only to Jupiter in terms of atmospheric mass.

5. Why is knowing the Earth's atmospheric mass important?

Understanding the Earth's atmospheric mass is crucial for studying and predicting weather patterns, climate change, and the overall health and composition of our planet's atmosphere. It also plays a significant role in various fields such as aviation, agriculture, and environmental science.