Calculating Mass Percent in UO2 Nuclear Fuel

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem encountered while using the SERPENT code and defining materials. The problem involves finding the mass percents of U-234, U-238, and O2 when given the mass percent of U-235 in a 3.5 percent enriched UO2 fuel. The conversation also mentions using research to determine the expected mass percent of O2 in UO2. The rest of the conversation involves discussing methods for finding the final answer and clarifying the desired results.
Goldberg

Homework Statement

Hello guys, I was using mcnp code SERPENT, and while defining materials i encountered a problem. The problem is that for example: if I'm given that i have a 3.5 percent enriched U-235. how do i find the rest of the mass percents of U-234, U-238, O2. Now since i know mass percent of U-235 i can use the equation given below to calculate the mass percent of U-234 in Uranium of that UO2 fuel, and the rest of the uranium would be U-238. But now what would be the weight percent of the Uranium in UO2 fuel?
From research i have found that O2 should be around 66 percent. but i have no way to calculate it. Can you please help. Thank you.

Homework Equations

25zjam9.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the average mass of an uranium atom with your isotopic mixture. You can look up the average mass of an oxygen atom. With both, you can calculate the average mass of the UO2 group, that should help to get the final answer.

mfb said:
You can calculate the average mass of an uranium atom with your isotopic mixture. You can look up the average mass of an oxygen atom. With both, you can calculate the average mass of the UO2 group, that should help to get the final answer.
I got that what do i do after that

After getting the final answer?

Can you show what you got?

mfb said:
After getting the final answer?

Can you show what you got?
The thing is that since its UO2, somehow in the answer I am given, U and O and O are divivded out of 100. So O2 is equal to ~66 percent. and as i increase the U-235 content Uranium mass percent increases from the basic ~33.33 percent, and the penalty of that is received by O2 mass percent.
The method you told me to calculate from gives me Uranium of UO2 as ~88 mass percent of the compound which is incorrect. It has to be about 66 percent.

Attachments

• 20170228_094250.jpg
    20170228_094250.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 739
Goldberg said:
The thing is that since its UO2, somehow in the answer I am given, U and O and O are divivded out of 100. So O2 is equal to ~66 percent. and as i increase the U-235 content Uranium mass percent increases from the basic ~33.33 percent, and the penalty of that is received by O2 mass percent.
I don't understand that part.

Oxygen has 67% of the atoms, but its mass fraction is much smaller.
Uranium has about 88% of the mass fraction of UO2, the other 12% are oxygen.

mfb said:
I don't understand that part.

Oxygen has 67% of the atoms, but its mass fraction is much smaller.
Uranium has about 88% of the mass fraction of UO2, the other 12% are oxygen.
ok let's try to find the atom percent because the answer is given as ~66 percent oxygen, so that might be an option. because it's definitely not 88 % one.
So how do i get that?

UO2 - two out of three atoms are oxygen. 2/3 or 66.7%.

mfb said:
UO2 - two out of three atoms are oxygen. 2/3 or 66.7%.
I tried but wasnt able to do it . This is basically the table i want. if i take the number density of O2 and divide by the total i get 66 %. so basically i can either get the number density or this percentage.http://imgur.com/a/2M4HH

Picture

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 633
I don't understand the problem.

By number of atoms, you have 66.7% oxygen, the result of a trivial calculation as shown above.
By mass, you have 12% oxygen, the result of the calculation you did above.
Those two numbers are not expected to be the same.

Where is the problem now?

Ok, The manual for this software is stupid. I know that the table is right so it might be from the number of atoms. Can you tell me how would i go about doing that

Doing what?

1. How do you calculate the mass percent of a compound?

To calculate the mass percent of a compound, you need to know the mass of the compound and the total mass of the sample. Then, you can use the formula: (mass of compound / total mass of sample) x 100%. This will give you the mass percent of the compound in the sample.

2. What is UO2 nuclear fuel?

UO2 nuclear fuel is a type of fuel used in nuclear reactors to produce energy. It is made up of uranium oxide (UO2) pellets that are stacked in metal tubes called fuel rods. These fuel rods are used to generate heat, which is then converted into electricity.

3. Why is it important to calculate the mass percent in UO2 nuclear fuel?

Calculating the mass percent in UO2 nuclear fuel is important because it allows us to determine the amount of uranium present in the fuel. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and efficiency of nuclear reactors. It also helps in the production and management of nuclear waste.

4. What factors can affect the mass percent of UO2 nuclear fuel?

The mass percent of UO2 nuclear fuel can be affected by various factors such as the quality and purity of the uranium used, the manufacturing process of the fuel pellets, and any impurities present in the fuel. The handling and storage conditions of the fuel can also impact its mass percent.

5. How is the mass percent of UO2 nuclear fuel determined experimentally?

The mass percent of UO2 nuclear fuel can be determined experimentally by using techniques such as gravimetric analysis, which involves measuring the mass of a sample before and after a chemical reaction. Another method is spectroscopy, which uses the absorption of light to identify and quantify the elements present in a sample. X-ray diffraction is also commonly used to analyze the composition of UO2 nuclear fuel.