Calculating max load of square tube (steel)

In summary, the person is seeking help in calculating the maximum load for a rack made of 3X3X1/4 steel tube. They have provided the dimensions of the rack and have attempted to find the necessary formulas, but have not been successful. Another person suggests calculating the maximum bending moment and applying the bending stress equation to find the maximum stress. They also mention considering fatigue life and using a safety factor. They clarify the difference between the moment of inertia given and the body moment of inertia.
drewjohn
I'm trying to calculate the max load of a rack made of 3X3X1/4 steel tube. It is 8ft long and 4ft wide. I just want to calculate the max load (distributed load) in bending (prob for just the 8ft sides) and also in compression for the legs. i can't find the right formulas. can anyone help?

so far i have

MOI (I)=3.495 in^4
Section modulus=2.330 in^3
MOE (E)=29,000,000 psi ( i think this is correct but I'm not sure. just want to use low grade steel)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if that is what I'm looking for. I need to know how much weight i can put on this rack (distributed load). i don't know if that that be yield strength or what? i want to assume fix ends on an 8ft square tube (actually 2 8ft tubes parallel).

No, that's what you're looking for. It's a textbook problem really. Calculate the maximum bending moment in your beam. Then apply the bending stress equation to find the maximum stress.

Via http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/beam-stress-deflection-d_1312.html the maximum stress in a simply supported distributed loaded beam is:
[tex]
\sigma = \frac{y q L^2}{8 I}
[/tex]
Where y is the perpendicular distance from the neutral axis, q is the load in force/length, L is the length of the beam, and I is the area moment of inertia of the cross section.

Be careful though, depending on the application. Yield strength is the strength assuming one cycle. If this beam is to be loaded and unloaded, then you should calculate a fatigue life, and then still use a safety factor.

Good luck,

but what i want to know it q. right?

would be 1.5?

Yes, find an allowable maximum stress and solve for q.

just as an addition to the topic...don't confuse the moment of inertia given with the body moment of inerita...this is the area moment of inertia whose unit in SI units system is bisqaure meter( m ^ 4)...the other moment of inertia of the body whose unit in the SI unit is (N.m) isn't applicable here

1. How do I calculate the maximum load of a square steel tube?

To calculate the maximum load of a square steel tube, you will need to know the dimensions of the tube (length, width, and thickness), the type of steel used, and the intended use of the tube. From there, you can use a formula such as the Euler formula or the Johnson formula to determine the maximum load capacity.

2. What is the difference between the Euler formula and the Johnson formula?

The Euler formula is a basic calculation that assumes the steel tube is perfectly straight and does not account for any imperfections or external forces. The Johnson formula takes into account factors such as deflection, bending, and external forces, making it a more accurate calculation for determining maximum load capacity.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating maximum load for all types of square steel tubes?

No, the formula used to calculate maximum load will depend on the type of steel used and the intended use of the tube. Different types of steel have different properties that will affect their load-bearing capabilities, so it is important to use the appropriate formula for the specific type of steel being used.

4. How do I determine the type of steel used for my square tube?

The type of steel used for a square tube can usually be found on the manufacturer's specifications or by contacting the manufacturer directly. It is important to know the type of steel used in order to accurately calculate the maximum load capacity.

5. Is there a maximum load limit for square steel tubes?

Yes, there is a maximum load limit for square steel tubes. This limit will vary depending on the type of steel used, the dimensions of the tube, and the intended use. It is important to accurately calculate the maximum load capacity to ensure the tube is used safely and effectively.