Calculating max weight object supports without counterweigh

In summary, the weight that an object can support on one side without using counterweights before falling over depends on the size and dimensions of the object. The object must have a balance on the potential tipping axis, and the sum of the vectors on each side must be greater than 0 for it to stay put. Three-dimensional properties, such as length, height, and width, also have an effect on this. The formula for calculating the counterweight needed is (m1 x x1) - (m2 x x2), where m1 and m2 are the masses and x1 and x2 are the horizontal distances from the center of mass to the potential tipping point.
James O'Neill
In tower cranes counterweights are placed on the counter jib to prevent the crane from falling over. Whereas on mobile cranes the counterweights are placed directly behind the cabin.
The crane in itself also acts as some counterweight.
My question to you is:
How much weight can an object support on one side, without using counterweights, before falling over?
E.G. a 40 cm arm with an 8 Kg weight is added to a 20 Kg box. Will the box support the weight without tipping to the weighted side?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on the size of the box. You want to make a balance about the potential tipping axis.
On the left you have 20 kg x half the length of the box
On the right you have 8 kg x 0.4 m

Half the length applies if the box has uniform mass density (horizontal distance between center of mass and tipping axis -- the lower right)

Make a force diagram to see.

I have made a sketch as example.
123.png

So on the lefet you have 20 x 0.125 kg m and on the right 8 x 0.4 kg m. Sum is 0.7 kg m to the right will keel it over !

I'm having some trouble seeing how you got 0.7 kg m at the end??
Also just curious, does three dimensional properties (l x h x w) have any effect on this?

James O'Neill said:
I'm having some trouble seeing how you got 0.7 kg m at the end??
Also just curious, does three dimensional properties (l x h x w) have any effect on this?
20 x 0.125 kg m minus 8 x 0.4 kg m is minus 0.7 kg m.

Of course. If you lay the box on its side, you get 20 x 0.25 kg m minus 8 x 0.4 kg m is plus 1.8 kg m and the contraption will stay put.

BvU said:
20 x 0.125 kg m minus 8 x 0.4 kg m is minus 0.7 kg m
Ohhh... I thought since you said sum in your second message I had to add the two together.
BvU said:
If you lay the box on its side, you get 20 x 0.25 kg m minus 8 x 0.4 kg m is plus 1.8 kg m and the contraption will stay put
This makes sense.
If the 8kg weight was directly against the side of the box, it would also stay up, right? (20 x 0.125 kg m) - (8 x 0.125 kg m) = 1.5 kg m.

James O'Neill said:
Ohhh... I thought since you said sum in your second message I had to add the two together.
Yes, sum They are vectors and try to rotate in opposite directions, so one has a minus sign. Analogous to pulling to the left and pulling to the right.
If the 8kg weight was directly against the side of the box, it would also stay up, right? (20 x 0.125 kg m) - (8 x 0.125 kg m) = 1.5 kg m.
Nice try, but that case the 8 kg would try to rotate to the right with 8 kg times the horizontal distance of the center of mass of the 8 kg weight to the potential tipping point. Which is not the .125 m if it's an iron weight

So let's make the weight 10 cm long.
(20 x 0.05 kg m) - (8 x 0.05 kg m) = 0.6 kg m. Is it right this time?
Can you then adjust this formula to calculate counterweight needed?

So let's make the weight 10 cm long. (20 x 0.125 kg m) - (8 x 0.1 kg m) = 1.7 kg m. Is it right this time?
It would be (20 x 0.125 kg m) - (8 x 0.05 kg m)

See it as a see-saw or a weighing scale with uneven arms. As long as m1x1 - m2x2 > 0 it won't topple over point P
Topple1.jpg

Thank you for your help. I grasp it now.
(20 x 0.125 ) -(8 x 0.05) = 2.1 kg m. Won't topple over.

What is the formula for calculating the maximum weight an object can support without counterweight?

The formula for calculating the maximum weight an object can support without counterweight is W = (F x d) / r, where W is the maximum weight, F is the force applied, d is the distance between the force and the fulcrum, and r is the distance between the fulcrum and the point of support for the object.

How do I determine the force needed to support a certain weight without using a counterweight?

To determine the force needed to support a certain weight without using a counterweight, use the formula F = (W x r) / d, where F is the force needed, W is the weight of the object, r is the distance between the fulcrum and the point of support, and d is the distance between the force and the fulcrum.

What factors affect the maximum weight an object can support without counterweight?

The maximum weight an object can support without counterweight is affected by the distance between the force and the fulcrum, the distance between the fulcrum and the point of support, and the strength and stability of the fulcrum itself.

How can I ensure the accuracy of my calculations for maximum weight without counterweight?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculations for maximum weight without counterweight, it is important to accurately measure the distances involved and to use the correct formula. It is also important to consider the stability and strength of the fulcrum and make any necessary adjustments to the calculations.

Is there a limit to the weight an object can support without counterweight?

Yes, there is a limit to the weight an object can support without counterweight. This limit is determined by the strength and stability of the fulcrum, as well as the distances between the force, fulcrum, and point of support. It is important to calculate and test the weight limit to ensure safety and prevent damage to the object and surrounding area.