Solve Torque w/ 2 Supports & Equilibrium Problems Easily

In summary, the first problem involves a 6.0 m long plank with a weight of 400N balanced on two supports 3.7 m apart. The question asks for the position where a 65 kg load can be hung without tipping the plank over, given that one support is 0.5m from the end of the plank. The second problem involves a 7.2 m long beam with a weight of 480N and a center of gravity 2.4 m from one end. There are two additional masses, 5.0 kg and 2.5 kg, hung from the beam at distances of 1.2 m and 0.8 m from the other end. The question asks
VelvonVeden
1. A 6.0 m long uniform plank is balanced on two supports with are 3.7 m apart. The plank weighs 400N. If one of the supports is 0.5m fro one end of the plank, how far from the other end can a 65 kg load hang without the plank tipping over?

and

A 7.2 m long beam AB weighing 480 N has its center of gravity 2.4 m from A. A 5.0 kg mass and a 2.5 kg mass are hung from the beam at 1.2 m and 0.8 m distances from B respectively. Calculate the position where the fulcrum is placed to keep the beam in equilibrium horizontally.

2. If someone could give me tips on a method of generally approaching such problems, I would appreciate itAccording to the laws of equilibrium, the moments of the force on with either side of the fulcrum must be equal, and the force acting downward must be equal to the opposite force acting upward.

Keeping that in mind I calculated the weight of 65 kg load mg - (65)(9.8) =637. I have had this problem for a while and have tried so many different methods i can't remember them all. Calculating the weights and trying to make them equal. Calculating the moments. Adding subtraction dividing etc. my instructor refuses to help.

I am stuck, I have no idea how to attack it now simple. Please help! I have four other similar problems.

Likes Onifadehassan
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post at least one attempted solution, showing all working. Keep it all symbolic, not plugging in any numbers yet.

1. How do I determine the torque in a system with 2 supports?

To determine the torque in a system with 2 supports, you will need to first identify the points of support and the forces acting on the system. Then, using the equation T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force acting on the system, and d is the distance from the point of support to the line of action of the force, you can calculate the torque at each support. Finally, to find the total torque, simply add the individual torques together.

2. What is the principle of equilibrium in torque problems?

The principle of equilibrium in torque problems states that for a system to be in equilibrium, the sum of all forces and torques acting on the system must be equal to zero. This means that the system will not rotate or accelerate if all forces and torques are balanced and cancel each other out.

3. Can I use the concept of torque to solve problems in real-life situations?

Yes, the concept of torque is applicable in many real-life situations, such as calculating the torque on a seesaw or a wrench, or determining the force needed to open a door. Understanding torque can also be helpful in designing structures and machines to ensure they are balanced and stable.

4. What are the units of torque?

The units of torque are typically expressed in newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft*lb) in the imperial system. However, other units such as kilogram-force meters (kgf*m) and inch-pounds (in*lb) may also be used.

5. Can the number of supports affect the torque in a system?

Yes, the number of supports can affect the torque in a system. In a system with multiple supports, the distance from the point of support to the line of action of the force can vary and therefore affect the total torque. Additionally, the number of supports can also determine the stability and balance of the system.