Calculating Maximum Height in Projectile Motion on a Trampoline

In summary, you jumped upward off the trampoline with an initial velocity of 30 km/h. You reached a peak vertical of 0 above the trampoline, but your final height was 3.51 meters above the trampoline.
pennywise1234

Homework Statement

You jump straight upward off a trampoline with an initial velocity of 30 km/h. How high above the trampoline will you reach?

Homework Equations

v2=v1 + a x t & v2(square root)=v1(square root) + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 30km/h into the second equation (knowing that acceleration in 9.81) and that the vertical at its peak is 0 but my number is no were near the answer key

do i have to convert km/h to m? and where did i go wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
pennywise1234 said:

Homework Statement

You jump straight upward off a trampoline with an initial velocity of 30 km/h. How high above the trampoline will you reach?

Homework Equations

v2=v1 + a x t & v2(square root)=v1(square root) + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 30km/h into the second equation (knowing that acceleration in 9.81) and that the vertical at its peak is 0 but my number is no were near the answer key

do i have to convert km/h to m? and where did i go wrong
How can we tell where you went wrong when you don't show your work? You could be making a simple math error.

i did v2=0 v1=30km/hr + 2 x 9.81 (d)
i square rooted 30 to get 900 + 2 x 9.81 to get 919.62 which is far off from the answer i need

to answer your other question, you have to make sure all your units agree. Km/h is not the same as m/s^2 (which is what the acceleration due to gravity is in, I am assuming). Units of length must agree and units of time must agree.

the answer is in meters, which is 3.54m. So i do not convert km to m i convert to degrees?

pennywise1234 said:
the answer is in meters, which is 3.54m. So i do not convert km to m i convert to degrees?
Convert km/h into the same units as your acceleration - so if using 9.81m/s2 convert km/h into m/s. You are only dealing with one direction so there isn't a reason to apply any conversion of degrees.

Likes pennywise1234
thanks i did D= v2 - V1/2 X a

so i did 0-8.3 (Square root)/2 x 9.81

then i did 68.8/19.62 got 3.51m

does that seem right ^^

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity, without any external forces acting on it.

2. How does a trampoline affect projectile motion?

A trampoline affects projectile motion by providing a surface for the object to bounce off of, changing its trajectory and altering its velocity and acceleration.

3. What factors influence the trajectory of a projectile on a trampoline?

The trajectory of a projectile on a trampoline is influenced by the initial velocity, angle of launch, mass of the object, and the elasticity and shape of the trampoline surface.

4. How does air resistance impact projectile motion on a trampoline?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion on a trampoline by slowing down the object's velocity and reducing the distance it travels. This is especially noticeable with larger and more aerodynamic objects.

5. Can a trampoline be used to demonstrate projectile motion?

Yes, a trampoline can be used to demonstrate projectile motion by launching objects from different angles and observing how they travel through the air and bounce off the trampoline surface.