Calculating Median in a Class with B, D, A, and C Scores: Findings and Solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Median
In summary, the conversation discusses four students' scores and their relationships, with the goal of determining the median of their scores. By using the given information, it is possible to determine the possible positions of the median, but it is not possible to find the exact value of the median.
Monoxdifly
MHB
In a class, Budi's score is greater than Doni's. The sum of Adi's and Doni's scores is greater than the sum of Budi's and Coki's scores. Meanwhile, Doni's score is greater than two times Budi's score substracted by Adi's score. Determine the median of those four students' scores.

All I know, was, by using their initials that:
B > D
A + D > B + C
D > 2B - A

And by using the second and third info I got that their score from lowest to highest is either C, D, B, A or D, B, C, A. However, I met a dead-end after that. Please someone help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I sketched a number line ... $B>D$ is obvious. The last inequality states $B < \dfrac{A+D}{2}$, or $B$ is less than the average of $A$ and $D$, equal to the midpoint of segment $AD$.

Finally, the second inequality states $C < A+D-B$. Note the possible positions for $C$ represented by the open-ended blue ray in the diagram.

If $B < C< A$ or $D < C < B$, the the median of the four scores is $\dfrac{B+C}{2}$

If $C < D$, then the median is $\dfrac{B+D}{2}$

Yep. Put more concisely, the median is $\frac 12 (B+\max(C,D))$.

Thank you everyone who has helped me with this question. I have asked this question in 4 different forums including this one and all confirm that it is impossible to find the exact number of the median's value.

1. What is the median?

The median is a measure of central tendency in a set of data. It is the middle value when the data is arranged in ascending or descending order. In other words, half of the data values are above the median and half are below it.

2. How is the median different from the mean?

The median and the mean are both measures of central tendency, but they are calculated differently. The median is the middle value, while the mean is the average of all the values. The median is less affected by extreme values, making it a more robust measure.

3. When should I use the median instead of the mean?

The median is more appropriate to use when the data is skewed or has extreme values. It is also preferred when the data is not normally distributed. In these cases, the median provides a more accurate representation of the central tendency.

4. How do I calculate the median?

To calculate the median, first arrange the data in ascending or descending order. If the number of data points is odd, the median is the middle value. If the number of data points is even, the median is the average of the two middle values.

5. Can the median be affected by outliers?

Yes, the median can be affected by outliers, but to a lesser extent than the mean. Outliers are extreme values that are significantly different from the rest of the data. Since the median is the middle value, it is not as sensitive to extreme values as the mean is.