K Map Help: Finding Minterms for Reordered Expression F(C,B,A,D)

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map
In summary, when you change the order of the variables in a function, the minterms will also change accordingly. The minterms are based on the binary representation of the variables, so it is important to change the columns accordingly when creating the truth table. While looking for 1 under the column of the changed variable is a correct method, it is important to note that the order of the minterms may not always change when changing the order of variables.
physics=world
1. The original expression is:

F(A,B,C,D) = Σm(0,1,2,5,8,9,10)

If I changed the order of ABCD to:

F(C,B,A,D)

What would be the minterms now?2. Use the truth table for 0 to 15

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the truth table in the regular order

ABCD and for CBAD.ABCD | F
0000 | 1
0001 | 1
0010 | 1
0011 | 0
0100 | 0
0101 | 1
0110 | 0
0111 | 0
1000 | 1
1001 | 1
1010 | 1
1011 | 0
1100 | 0
1101 | 0
1110 | 0
1111 | 0

So, here I basically thought that if C was 1 in the regular column then in the new truth table I just look for 1 under the C column. Is this right or do I need to redo the columns so that everything under the A column from the regular truth table is shifted over to 2 columns over?

CBAD | F
0000 | 1
0001 | 1
0010 | 1
0011 | 1
0100 | 0
0101 | 1
0110 | 0
0111 | 0
1000 | 1
1001 | 0
1010 | 1
1011 | 0
1100 | 0
1101 | 0
1110 | 0
1111 | 0

I got F(C,B,A,D) = Σm(0,1,2,3,5,8,10)

is this correct? I thought that if you changed the order than the minterms should change and only one minterm changed.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,
You are correct in your approach. When you change the order of the variables in the function, the minterms will also change. In this case, the minterms will be:

F(C,B,A,D) = Σm(0,1,2,3,5,8,10)

This is because the minterms are based on the binary representation of the variables, and when you change the order, the binary representation also changes. So, it is important to change the columns accordingly when creating the truth table.
Your method of looking for 1 under the C column is correct. Keep in mind that the order of the minterms may not always change when you change the order of the variables. It will depend on the function and the order in which the variables are changed.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a K-map and how does it help with finding minterms?

A K-map, also known as a Karnaugh map, is a graphical tool used to simplify Boolean expressions and aid in the process of finding minterms. It is a two-dimensional grid where the input variables of a Boolean expression are represented along the axes. By grouping together adjacent cells with the same output value, we can identify minterms and simplify the expression.

2. How do I reorder the expression for use with a K-map?

The expression must be written in its canonical form, meaning that all terms must be in either SOP (sum of products) or POS (product of sums) form. The order of the input variables in the expression must also follow a specific sequence, typically in ascending or descending order. Once the expression is in this form, it can be easily translated onto the K-map.

3. What is the significance of the order of the input variables on the K-map?

The order of the input variables on the K-map is crucial in identifying adjacent cells that can be grouped together to form minterms. This order follows a gray code sequence, where only one variable changes at a time between adjacent cells. This ensures that when grouping cells, only one input variable will differ between them, making it easier to identify minterms.

4. How do I determine the number of cells on a K-map for a given number of input variables?

The number of cells on a K-map is determined by the number of input variables, which is equal to 2 to the power of the number of variables. For example, if there are 4 input variables, the K-map will have 16 cells (2^4).

5. Can I use a K-map to simplify any Boolean expression?

Yes, a K-map can be used to simplify any Boolean expression, as long as it is written in canonical form and follows the correct order of input variables. It is a useful tool for simplifying complex expressions and minimizing the number of logic gates needed to implement the expression.