Calculating Momentum in an Observer's Frame of Reference

In summary, the conversation discusses converting the momentum of an electron into units of Mev/c and calculating its total energy, Lorentz factor, and speed. It then introduces a new observer, Z, with a constant speed and asks for the momentum of the electron in their frame of reference. The suggested solution involves using the formula for Lorentz transformation of momentum to compare the two values.
Curtis Cleary

Homework Statement

Hi all, I'm given an electron with momentum 2.0*10-20kgm/s and was asked to convert the momentum into units of Mev/c then calculate the total energy of the electron, the lorentz factor and the speed of the electron, I did this successfully but then the question got confusing, it goes like this.

An observer Z is moving with a a constant speed of 0.772c exactly opposite to the direction of motion. Calculate the momentum of the electron in the observers frame of reference. Compare this value to the value given in the question. I have no clue how to do this, I found a formula online for the lorentz transformation for momentum but don't know how to use it in this situation

Homework Equations

p'=gamma*(p-vE/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Curtis,
I believe you know how to calculate ρ0, or the momentum in the particle's frame of reference. The particle from the observer, or Z's point of view, can be worked out by subtracting the velocity of the particle from the velocity of the observer. Then, plug it into the equation you have above, namely- ρ=γ(ρ-vE/c^2). To compare this with ρ0, I assume you find the ratio- one momentum divided by the other momentum. Hope this helps!

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that describes the momentum of an object moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which shows that the mass of an object increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum is different from classical momentum in that it takes into account the additional effects of special relativity. Unlike classical momentum, which is calculated with the formula p = mv (where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity), relativistic momentum also considers the mass increase at high velocities with the formula p = mv/√(1-v²/c²), where c is the speed of light.

3. Is relativistic momentum conserved?

Yes, relativistic momentum is conserved in all interactions, just like classical momentum. This means that the total relativistic momentum of a closed system remains constant, even when objects within the system are moving at high speeds.

4. How does relativistic momentum affect the behavior of particles at high speeds?

At high speeds, relativistic momentum causes particles to behave differently than they would at lower speeds. For example, the mass increase due to relativistic momentum can make it more difficult for particles to accelerate, and can also lead to effects such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. Can relativistic momentum be used to explain the behavior of objects in the universe?

Yes, relativistic momentum is an important concept in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe. It is used in various fields of study, such as astrophysics and cosmology, to explain phenomena such as the motion of planets and the expansion of the universe.