Calculating Net Force and Deacceleration in a Head-On Collision

In summary, the question asks to estimate the net force on a 58 kg person in a head-on collision with a car traveling at 13 m/s, assuming the person is wearing a seat belt and the airbag deploys. The attempt to solve the problem involves finding the deacceleration over a distance of 1m and using that to calculate the net force using the equation F=ma. The calculated force is -4901N, but it may be incorrect due to not considering significant figures or the possibility of the person moving forward and then backward in the collision.
Sky.Anthony

Homework Statement

A 58 kg person is in a head-on collision. The car's speed at impact is 13 m/s. Estimate the net force on the person if he or she is wearing a seat belt and if the air bag deploys.

For some reason, I can't seem to get the correct answer to this question... I have no idea where I am going wrong. According to the question, if a person is wearing a seatbelt, they deaccelerate over a distance of 1m.

Homework Equations

(Final Velocity)^2 = (Initial Velocity)^2 + 2*acceleration*distance
Force=mass*acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I had to find the deacceleration over the distance of 1m:
(Final Velocity)^2 = (Initial Velocity)^2 + 2*acceleration*distance
0 = (13m/s)^2 + 2*acceleration*1m
acceleration= -84.5m/s^2

Using that acceleration to calculate net force...
F=ma
= (58kg)(-84.5m/s^2)
=-4901N

I put that answer into the system and it comes back wrong...

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
well it sound reasonable to me
but thinking back if a person wearing seatbelt should they move forward then move back ward?

Don't forget about your significant figures.

Related to Calculating Net Force and Deacceleration in a Head-On Collision

1. What is Net Force?

Net Force is the sum of all forces acting on an object. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual force to determine the overall effect on the object's motion.

2. How is Net Force calculated?

Net Force is calculated by adding up all the forces acting on an object in the same direction and subtracting any forces acting in the opposite direction. The resulting value is the net force acting on the object.

3. What is the relationship between Net Force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the net force increases, the acceleration of the object also increases.

4. How does deacceleration differ from acceleration?

Deacceleration, also known as deceleration or negative acceleration, is the rate at which an object slows down. It is caused by a net force acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate at which an object speeds up due to a net force acting in the same direction as its motion.

5. How can Net Force and deacceleration be applied in real life?

Understanding Net Force and deacceleration is important in many real-life situations, such as driving a car or riding a bike. The net force acting on the vehicle must be carefully controlled to maintain a safe and smooth rate of deacceleration. In sports, players must also consider net force and deacceleration when making movements on the field or court. Additionally, engineers use these concepts to design roller coasters, airplanes, and other forms of transportation.