Calculating Net Heat Flow for an Aluminum Disk in a Room

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the net heat flow of an aluminum disk with a radius of 10 cm and temperature of 293K inside a room with a temperature of 300K. The formula used is Hnet = A*e*σ(Tradiate^4 - Tabsorb^4) and after plugging in the values, a numerical answer of 0.13 W is obtained. However, this answer does not match the given choices and it is suggested that there may be a mistake in the book or coursework.
lonelypancreas

Homework Statement

What is the net heat flow of an aluminum disk (emissivity = 0.05) with radius
10 cm and temperature 293K placed inside a room where the temperature is 300K?

Asurface = π*r2 = 0.01π m2

Homework Equations

Hnet = A*e*σ(Tradiate4-Tabsorb4)

The Attempt at a Solution

By simply plugging in the values, I get a value of 0.13. However, the answer is not among the choices.

Where did I possibly go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
lonelypancreas said:

Homework Statement

What is the net heat flow of an aluminum disk (emissivity = 0.05) with radius
10 cm and temperature 293K placed inside a room where the temperature is 300K?

Asurface = π*r2 = 0.01π m2

Homework Equations

Hnet = A*e*σ(Tradiate4-Tabsorb4)

The Attempt at a Solution

By simply plugging in the values, I get a value of 0.13. However, the answer is not among the choices.

Where did I possibly go wrong?
That's the numerical answer that I got (don't forget to include your units in the future), with the possible exception of a negative sign.

What are the other choices?

collinsmark said:
That's the numerical answer that I got (don't forget to include your units in the future), with the possible exception of a negative sign.

What are the other choices?

upload_2017-6-20_6-41-40.png

lonelypancreas said:
Hmm. The given answer choices differ from our answer by a factor of around √2, for what that's worth.

Unless there's more to the problem though I think our answer of 0.13 W is correct*. I don't know, maybe it's a mistake in the book/coursework?

*I'll let you figure out if it's into or out of the disk.

Likes lonelypancreas

1. What is net heat flow?

Net heat flow is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It is also known as heat transfer or heat exchange.

2. How does radiation contribute to net heat flow?

Radiation is one of the three main mechanisms of heat transfer, along with conduction and convection. It involves the transfer of thermal energy through electromagnetic waves, such as infrared radiation.

3. What factors affect the net heat flow through radiation?

The amount of net heat flow through radiation depends on several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the surface area of the objects, and the type of material the objects are made of.

4. Is radiation always a form of heat loss?

No, radiation can also result in heat gain. For example, the sun's rays contain radiation that can be absorbed by objects, increasing their temperature and resulting in heat gain.

5. How is net heat flow through radiation measured?

The net heat flow through radiation is typically measured in watts (W) or calories per second (cal/s). It can also be measured in joules (J) or British thermal units (BTU) depending on the unit system used.