Calculating Nyquist sampling rate and interval

In summary: ILS already stated. Is this just a coincidence?Thanks, I'll check it out.Ok i think i understand. Heres one more related question then. Say I have the following signal ##5*sinc^{2}(200 \pi t)##Would the Nyquist sampling rate then be simply be ##2*100 \pi = 200 \pi Hz##?Thanks for braking this down for me. I do appreciate it!Once again, I would take the Fourier integral of that function of time to determine the spectrum.I don't have a table of transforms that includes that function. I supose the choice would be to either do a convolution of F{sinc(2πf
Evo8

Homework Statement

Determine the Nyquist sampling rate and the Nyquist sampling interval for this signal.

sinc(2100[itex]\pi[/itex]t)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I know that the Nyquist sampling rate is double or 2 times the bandwidth of a bandlimited signal. So I would assume the procedure for solving is find the bandwidth and multiply by 2. However I don't know where to start with finding the bandwidth of this signal. Also I am unsure of how to treat the "sinc" function. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo8 said:

Homework Statement

Determine the Nyquist sampling rate and the Nyquist sampling interval for this signal.

sinc(2100[itex]\pi[/itex]t)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I know that the Nyquist sampling rate is double or 2 times the bandwidth of a bandlimited signal. So I would assume the procedure for solving is find the bandwidth and multiply by 2. However I don't know where to start with finding the bandwidth of this signal. Also I am unsure of how to treat the "sinc" function. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Hey Evo8! Long time no see! :smile:

More specifically the Nyquist sampling rate is double the highest relevant frequency ##f##.

Your highest relevant frequency is the ##f## in ##\text{sinc}(2\pi f t) = {\sin(2\pi f t) \over 2\pi f t}##.
The Nyquist sampling interval is the inverse of this doubled frequency.

I think you need to look at the spectrum of sinc(2πf0t).
That spectrum is derived by taking the Fourier integral of sinc(2πf0t) → |1/2πf0| rect(f/2πf0)
(this is a rectangular function between f = -πf0 and +πf0 and height = 1).

So the spectrum is flat from zero to f = πf0
and here 2πf0 = 2100π or f0 = 1050 Hz. So the spectrum goes from zero Hz to 1050π Hz and the Nyquist sampling rate is 2100π Hz.

So that makes the Nyquist rate 3.14... times as high as if the sampled wave were a simple sine wave of f0 = 1050 Hz.

If I did it right ... comments welcomed.

Hi I Like Serena! good to hear from you!

Im a little confused now...

I understand what ILS is saying. So if the[itex]f[/itex] is the highest relevant frequency then my Nyquist sampling rate would then be [itex]2f[/itex].

And if my sampling rate is simply the inverse then that would turn out [itex]\frac{1}{2f}[/itex] right? So this means that the 2100 in the sinc function literally has no effect on the nyquist sampling rate or interval..

I have a hard time seeing where rude man gets [itex]f_{0}=1050Hz[/itex] Further more how its determined that the rate is [itex]2100n Hz...[/itex]

Thanks again for the help. It will take a few min until the mathematical portion of my brain comes out of hibernation. I simply don't use this type of math in my actual work practice so its gets uh let's say dusty...

EDIT:
I took another look at the question and I am even more confused. Where did the [itex]f[/itex] come from? The original signal was [itex]sinc(2100\pi t)[/itex] So is the 2100 my highest relevant frequency?

Thanks again for the help

Last edited:
After reading rude man's comment, I agree that the Nyquist rate will be ##2100\pi \text{ Hz} \approx 6597 \text{ Hz}##.

To get the proper sampling, Nyquist stated that you need to sample at a frequency that is double the highest frequency that can occur, which is ##1050 \cdot \pi## in your case.
(A typical trick is to pass the signal through a low pass filter to remove unwanted high frequencies.)

He got 1050 Hz, since ##2\pi f t = 2100\pi t##.
Dividing left and right by ##2\pi t## yields ##f = 1050 Hz##.

Last edited:
Ok i think i understand.

Heres one more related question then. Say I have the following signal ##5*sinc^{2}(200 \pi t)##

Would the Nyquist sampling rate then be simply be ##2*100 \pi = 200 \pi Hz##?

Thanks for braking this down for me. I do appreciate it!

Evo8 said:
Ok i think i understand.

Heres one more related question then. Say I have the following signal ##5*sinc^{2}(200 \pi t)##

Once again, I would take the Fourier integral of that function of time to determine the spectrum.

I don't have a table of transforms that includes that function. I supose the choice would be to either do a convolution of F{sinc(2πf0t)} with itself, or try to perform the actual integral. In the latter case I would try sin(x) = (1/2j)[exp(jx) - exp(-jx)] but it still looks like a bear to perform with the x2 in the denominator ... and with the infinite limits it might be necessary to invoke the delta function .. blah blah .. think I'll sit this one out. :frown:

Evo8 said:
Ok i think i understand.

rude man said:
Once again, I would take the Fourier integral of that function of time to determine the spectrum.

I don't have a table of transforms that includes that function. I supose the choice would be to either do a convolution of F{sinc(2πf0t)} with itself, or try to perform the actual integral. In the latter case I would try sin(x) = (1/2j)[exp(jx) - exp(-jx)] but it still looks like a bear to perform with the x2 in the denominator ... and with the infinite limits it might be necessary to invoke the delta function .. blah blah .. think I'll sit this one out. :frown:

It turns out not to be so bad.

According to wiki the Fourier transform of ##\text{sinc}^2(ax)## is ##{1 \over \sqrt{2\pi a^2}} \text{tri}({\omega \over 2\pi a})##, where ##\text{tri}## is the triangular function that has its last non-zero value at 1.

In our case we have ##~~a = 2\pi f_0## and ##\omega_{highest} = 2\pi f_{highest}##.
So ##f_0 = 100 \text{ Hz}##.

The highest frequency is given by:
$${\omega_{highest} \over 2\pi a} = 1$$
$${2\pi f_{highest} \over 2\pi \cdot 2\pi f_0} = 1$$
$$f_{highest} = 2\pi f_0 = 2\pi \cdot 100 \text{ Hz}$$
Therefore the Nyquist sample rate is:
$$f_{Nyquist} = 2 f_{highest} = 4\pi\cdot 100 \approx 1257 \text{ Hz}$$

Ok I am hanging on here... barely.

I understand how you applied transform 203 from the table and the basic algebra to get the ##f_{highest}=2 \pi f_{0}## then finding the sample rate is even more streight forward.

The next signal I need to evaluate is something like this. ##sinc(2100 \pi t)+sinc^{2}(200 \pi t)##

Soo looking at the tables on the wiki I don't see a transform that matches. Or a theorem to add two transforms. I can't image its as simple as adding the two highest frequencies together right?

Giving me ##(2100 \pi)+(4 \pi 100)=7854Hz## for a nyquist rate?

Evo8 said:
And if my sampling rate is simply the inverse then that would turn out [itex]\frac{1}{2}f[/itex] right?

I hope you intended [itex]T_{Nyquist} = \frac{1}{2f_{highest}}[/itex].

Evo8 said:

I understand how you applied transform 203 from the table and the basic algebra to get the ##f_{highest}=2 \pi f_{0}## then finding the sample rate is even more streight forward.

The next signal I need to evaluate is something like this. ##sinc(2100 \pi t)+sinc^{2}(200 \pi t)##

Soo looking at the tables on the wiki I don't see a transform that matches. Or a theorem to add two transforms. I can't image its as simple as adding the two highest frequencies together right?

Giving me ##(2100 \pi)+(4 \pi 100)=7854Hz## for a nyquist rate?

Transform 101 tells you what happens if you add: you just add the two transforms.
So no, you don't add the two highest frequencies together.
The frequency spectrums are simply added together.
The highest resulting frequency is the maximum of the 2 frequencies.

I like Serena said:
I hope you intended [itex]T_{Nyquist} = \frac{1}{2f_{highest}}[/itex].

Yes! Thanks for catching that. I wrote one thing down in my notebook and typed another!

Ok for some reason I thought 101 looked like it wasn't exactly what I had. On second inspection i see it.

Now If i add them I get something like ##(\frac{1}{2100 \pi}* rect(\frac{f_{highest}}{2100 \pi})+(\frac{1}{200 \pi}*tri \frac{f_{highest}}{200 \pi})##

However I am nor sure I understand this comment.
So no, you don't add the two highest frequencies together.
The frequency spectrums are simply added together.
The highest resulting frequency is the maximum of the 2 frequencies.

Soo I have the two highest frequencies of ##100 \pi## and ##1050 \pi## So the highest frequency would be ##1050 \pi## therefore the sampling rate is ##2100 \pi##? I have a feeling I am not understanding fully.. right?

Evo8 said:
Ok for some reason I thought 101 looked like it wasn't exactly what I had. On second inspection i see it.

Now If i add them I get something like ##(\frac{1}{2100 \pi}* rect(\frac{f_{highest}}{2100 \pi})+(\frac{1}{200 \pi}*tri \frac{f_{highest}}{200 \pi})##

However I am nor sure I understand this comment.

Soo I have the two highest frequencies of ##100 \pi## and ##1050 \pi## So the highest frequency would be ##1050 \pi## therefore the sampling rate is ##2100 \pi##? I have a feeling I am not understanding fully.. right?

You'd get something like ##\text{rect}(\frac{f}{2100 \pi})+\text{tri}(\frac{f}{200 \pi})##.
I'm leaving out the amplitudes for convenience.
In particular this is a function of the frequency f and not of fhighest.
See W|A.
Their frequency spectrums overlap.
The highest frequency where this function is non-zero is determined by the rectangle.

Evo8 said:

?

Better than that, you just pick the higher of the two sampling rates!

What is Nyquist sampling rate?

Nyquist sampling rate, also known as the Nyquist frequency, is the highest frequency that can be accurately sampled by a given system. It is defined as half the sampling rate of the system.

Why is Nyquist sampling rate important?

Nyquist sampling rate is important because it ensures that the original signal can be reconstructed without any loss of information. Sampling at a rate lower than the Nyquist rate can result in aliasing, which can distort the original signal.

How do you calculate the Nyquist sampling rate?

The Nyquist sampling rate can be calculated by taking the highest frequency component in the signal and multiplying it by two. This will give you the minimum sampling rate required to accurately capture the signal.

What is the Nyquist interval?

The Nyquist interval is the time between each sample in a system. It is calculated by taking the inverse of the Nyquist sampling rate.

Can the Nyquist sampling rate be exceeded?

Yes, the Nyquist sampling rate can be exceeded. However, this can lead to oversampling, which does not improve the accuracy of the signal and can waste resources. It is important to sample at or slightly above the Nyquist rate to ensure accurate reconstruction of the signal.