Calculating Original Speed from Time and Velocity Changes on a Freeway

In summary, the freeway takes 10 seconds longer to go one mile when driving at 4.5 miles per hour than when going at the original speed.
OUstudent

Homework Statement

Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 4.5 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 10 s. What was your original speed?

Homework Equations

V=D/T

The Attempt at a Solution

V1T1 = 1 mi
v2t2= i mile
v2= v1 + change of V
t2= t1 - change of t
I then used equations 3 and 4 to eliminate v2 and t2 in equation 2.
(v1 + change of V)(t1 - change of t) = 1 mi

I know that i need to get rid of t1 now, and i should probably use the first equation (v1t1 = 1 mi) to do it. I just don't know how to integrate the two of them.
Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two equations and two unknowns: [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]t_1[/itex]. Solve them in the usual way: solve one for one of the unknowns and substitute the result in the other equation.

That's what i thought i was doing. by putting in v1t1=1mile into (v1 + change in v)(t1-change in t). but would that be (v1 + change in v)(v1 - change in t)? or (v1 + change in v)((1/v1) - change in t)?

The second one (if you add units), as V1T1=1mile is equivalent to T1=1mile/V1.

Ah ok. so then i just simplify that equation to find v1.
which would be.. (v12)(Δt) + (ΔvΔt) - (Δv)(1 mi) = 0

so then i do quadratic?

That is a good idea, indeed. But the units of the last equation are wrong, there is some error in the calculation.

(Δt)v12 + (Δv)(Δt)v1 - (Δv)(1mi) = 0

fixed?

Now the units match. I didn't check the equations, but you can check the result yourself afterwards with known v1 and t1.

i got the right answer.
thank you

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only describes the magnitude of an object's motion.

How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. It is expressed as distance over time, usually in meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for speed is distance divided by time. It is expressed as distance over time, usually in meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

How do velocity and speed differ in terms of direction?

Velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

How does time affect velocity and speed?

Time is a factor that affects both velocity and speed. The longer an object travels, the greater its velocity and speed will be. In other words, the longer the time, the more distance an object can cover, resulting in a higher velocity and speed.