Calculating Output Voltage of an Amplifier with RC Coupling Network

In summary, the conversation discusses the input coupling circuit of an amplifier and the calculation of the output voltage at different frequencies. The circuit consists of an RC network with specific values for the resistor and capacitor, and a sinusoidal voltage source. The question also mentions that the input impedance of the amplifier can be neglected. The person requesting help is struggling with answering the question and is looking for assistance or guidance.
Duckshot
Hi I am struggling to answer this question:

The input coupling circuit of the amplifier shown in the figure consist of an RC network, with R = 1 kW and C = 5mF fed by a sinusoidal voltage source of r.m.s. amplitude of 200 mV. Assuming that the input impedance of the amplifier is, at all frequencies, so much larger than 1 kW that it can be neglected, calculate the output voltage Vo at 10Hz, 100Hz and 1kHz.

fig1.jpg

I would really appreciate any help, or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know if you're still working on this, I just saw it.

What are the impedances of the resistor and of the capacitor?

for any assistance.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basics of RC coupling networks. RC coupling is a method of connecting two stages of an amplifier using a resistor and capacitor in series. This allows for the amplification of an AC signal while blocking the DC component.

To calculate the output voltage of an amplifier with an RC coupling network, we need to use the following formula:

Vo = Vin * (1 + (R2/R1))

Where Vin is the input voltage and R2 and R1 are the resistances in the RC network. In this case, R1 is the 1 kW resistor and R2 is the input impedance of the amplifier, which can be neglected as stated in the question.

So, for 10 Hz, we can calculate the output voltage as:

Vo = 0.2 V * (1 + (0/1)) = 0.2 V

For 100 Hz, we can use the same formula:

And for 1 kHz, we get:

This means that the output voltage will remain the same at all three frequencies, as long as the input impedance of the amplifier is significantly larger than 1 kW.

However, if the input impedance was not negligible, we would need to take it into account in our calculations. In that case, the formula for Vo would be:

Vo = Vin * (1 + (R2/R1 + R2))

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. It's always important to understand the basic principles and formulas involved in a problem before attempting to solve it. Good luck!

Related to Calculating Output Voltage of an Amplifier with RC Coupling Network

1. How do I calculate the output voltage of an amplifier with an RC coupling network?

To calculate the output voltage of an amplifier with an RC coupling network, you will need to use the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / R1 + R2), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the resistance of the first resistor in the network, and R2 is the resistance of the second resistor in the network. This formula assumes that the capacitors in the network have a negligible impedance.

2. What is an RC coupling network?

An RC coupling network is a circuit that connects the output of an amplifier to the input of another stage through a combination of a resistor (R) and capacitor (C). It is used to transfer the amplified signal from one stage to another while blocking any DC component of the signal.

3. What is the purpose of using an RC coupling network in an amplifier?

The purpose of using an RC coupling network in an amplifier is to block any DC component of the amplified signal and only allow the AC component to pass through. This helps to prevent any unwanted distortion of the signal and also allows for the amplification of signals with a wider range of frequencies.

4. What factors can affect the output voltage of an amplifier with an RC coupling network?

The output voltage of an amplifier with an RC coupling network can be affected by the values of the resistors and capacitors in the network, as well as the input voltage and the frequency of the input signal. Additionally, any variations in the components used or external interference can also impact the output voltage.

5. Are there any limitations to using an RC coupling network in an amplifier?

One limitation of using an RC coupling network in an amplifier is that it can introduce some frequency-dependent phase shift in the output signal, which can affect the overall response of the amplifier. Additionally, if the input signal has a large DC component, it can cause the capacitors in the network to become charged, which can lead to distortion in the output signal. Therefore, it is important to carefully select the values of the components in the network to minimize these limitations.