Calculating Oxygen Mass in a Portable Cylinder | Physics Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of oxygen in a portable oxygen system. The volume of the cylinder is 0.0029 m3 and it has an absolute pressure of 1E7 Pa at 290 K. The equation used is pv=nRt and the correct molar mass of oxygen is 32 g/mol. The final answer is 192.54 grams, which needs to be converted to kg. The expert also points out that the molar mass of oxygen is incorrect, as it should be 32 g/mol rather than 16 g/mol.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

In a portable oxygen system, the oxygen (O2) is contained in a cylinder whose volume is 0.0029 m3. A full cylinder has an absolute pressure of 1 107 Pa when the temperature is 290 K. Find the mass of oxygen in the cylinder.

Homework Equations

pv=nRt

The Attempt at a Solution

I used pv=nRt to get-----> (1E7)(.0029)=n(8.31)(290) and I solved for "n" and got n=12.03. Then i multiplied 12.03 by 16 (the mass of oxygen from the periodic table) to get mass from moles. This gave me 192.54 grams. But my answer had to be in kg, so i got .1925. But, my online homework keeps marking that wrong? Can you tell me if I made a mistake anywhere along the way? I am very confused about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your molar mass of oxygen is wrong. 16 is molar mass of just O.

oh i see now. thanks for your assistance

1. What is the equation pv=nRt used for in physics?

The equation pv=nRt, also known as the ideal gas law, is used to relate the pressure (p), volume (v), amount of gas (n), gas constant (R), and temperature (t) of an ideal gas.

2. What does each variable in the equation pv=nRt represent?

The variable p represents the pressure of the gas, v represents the volume of the gas, n represents the amount of gas in moles, R represents the gas constant, and t represents the temperature of the gas in Kelvin.

3. Why is the ideal gas law important in physics?

The ideal gas law is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases under different conditions. It allows us to predict how changes in pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas will affect each other.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the ideal gas law equation?

Some common mistakes when using the ideal gas law equation include using incorrect units for the variables, not converting temperature to Kelvin, and not accounting for non-ideal behavior of gases at high pressures or low temperatures.

5. How can I solve for a specific variable in the ideal gas law equation?

To solve for a specific variable in the ideal gas law equation, you can rearrange the equation to isolate the desired variable. For example, if you want to solve for volume, you can rearrange the equation to v = (nRt)/p. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable in order to get an accurate answer.