Calculating Payback Time for Solar Cell Panels: GCSE kWh Question

• Thread starter Mukilab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcse
In summary: I'll try and look for it.thank you for the...I'll try and look for it.In summary, the question is asking for the payback time for installing a solar cell panel, and the answer is 20 years.
Mukilab
The question: Electricity supplied from the National Grid costs 8p per kWh.
A householder is considering installing solar cell panels. The household uses 4000 kWh of electricity each year. The cost of installing a solar cell panel is £6400 per kW
What is the payback time?

The answer is 40 years however I got 20 by doing the following.

I first worked out the total cost which I got as £320 = 4000kWh * £0.08 , this is per year

Then I just did £6400 / £320 to get 20 years.

How can you get 40? And where did I go wrong? I'd be very thankful for any help.

On another note... how do I use Latex in this forum? It just comes up with a box... do I have to do the latex tags myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Mukilab! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Mukilab said:
Electricity supplied from the National Grid costs 8p per kWh.
A householder is considering installing solar cell panels. The household uses 4000 kWh of electricity each year. The cost of installing a solar cell panel is £6400 per kW
What is the payback time?

Always look carefully at the units in the question …

in this case, the cost is per kW, not per kWh. :wink:
... do I have to do the latex tags myself?

Yup! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Mukilab! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Always look carefully at the units in the question …

in this case, the cost is per kW, not per kWh. :wink:

Yup! :biggrin:

I tried dividing the kWh by the number of hours in a year and it doesn't work.

Mukilab said:
I tried dividing the kWh by the number of hours in a year and it doesn't work.

hmm … yes, it goes the wrong way, doesn't it?

The question seems to expect you to instal 2kW of panels, yet with about 9000 hours in a year, that seems totally unnecessary. :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … yes, it goes the wrong way, doesn't it?

The question seems to expect you to instal 2kW of panels, yet with about 9000 hours in a year, that seems totally unnecessary. :confused:

It's from an AQA GCSE science module paper... and it's not the first that has been dodgy. I'll wait for anyone else to see if they can figure out why it works.

The only way I can see it working is if there's only about 6 hours of daylight a day.

Since that's only half the actual amount (of 12 hours), maybe there's some reason for taking half, eg that the sun spends most of the day at the wrong angle? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
The only way I can see it working is if there's only about 6 hours of daylight a day.

Since that's only half the actual amount (of 12 hours), maybe there's some reason for taking half, eg that the sun spends most of the day at the wrong angle? :confused:

Sounds too complicated for GCSE :(

Mukilab,how was the question worded exactly and have you left out any information?

Dadface said:
Mukilab,how was the question worded exactly and have you left out any information?

no left out information at all.

Copied it exactly, word for word.

Mukilab said:
no left out information at all.

Copied it exactly, word for word.

What year and what course was it from?

June 2008 Physics AQA GCSE Core Science Past Paper Module exam higher tier.

If you look at it, also please look at the dodgy question on meter readings.

Back again.I did a search on the AQA website to look at past papers for 2008 but could not find the questions you referred to.

Dadface said:
Back again.I did a search on the AQA website to look at past papers for 2008 but could not find the questions you referred to.

Here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-PHY1AP-W-QP-JUN08.PDF

Question 8C

The dodgy meter one is 6C

Last edited by a moderator:
Question 8 is about drying?

8C of the higher paper.

That paper contains two parts: foundation and higher tier. Scroll down to page 14 or so to get higher.

yes page 14.

Mukilab if you look at question 8a there are two bar graphs and the one on the left informs us that a 1kW panel produces 2000 kWh per year.That information needs to be carried across to 8c.

Dadface said:
Mukilab if you look at question 8a there are two bar graphs and the one on the left informs us that a 1kW panel produces 2000 kWh per year.That information needs to be carried across to 8c.

Really? Usually it mentions that in the question e.g. 'using graph x as evidence'...

You will often find that information provided in earlier parts of questions is needed for later parts of questions.Part c on its own does not give enough information.

Last edited:
Dadface said:
You will often find that information provided in earlier parts of questions is needed for later parts of questions.Part c on its own does not give enough information.

thank you for the help

What is the formula for calculating payback time for solar cell panels?

The formula for calculating payback time for solar cell panels is: Payback Time = Cost of Solar Panels / Annual Savings from Solar Panels

How do you calculate the annual savings from solar panels?

The annual savings from solar panels can be calculated by multiplying the efficiency of the solar panels (in decimal form) by the total amount of sunlight hours in a year (usually around 8760 hours) and then multiplying that by the wattage of the solar panels.

What factors can affect the payback time for solar cell panels?

The payback time for solar cell panels can be affected by the initial cost of the panels, the efficiency of the panels, the amount of sunlight in the location, and the cost of electricity in the area.

What is considered a good payback time for solar cell panels?

A good payback time for solar cell panels is typically around 5-10 years. This means that the cost of the panels will be paid back within that time period through the savings on electricity bills.

How can the payback time for solar cell panels be reduced?

The payback time for solar cell panels can be reduced by investing in more efficient panels, choosing a location with high levels of sunlight, and taking advantage of government incentives or tax credits for renewable energy. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the panels can also help improve their efficiency and reduce payback time.