Calculating pH of buffer after adding HCl

After adding 1 ml of 0.05 HCl to the Tris buffer, the expected pH value would be 8.97. In summary, after adding 1 ml of 0.05 HCl to a 4 ml, 0.01M Tris buffer with a pH of 9.0, the expected pH value would be 8.97. This is determined by using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the concentrations of the acid and base components after the addition of HCl.
MissSpice

Homework Statement

If the Tris buffer was exactly pH=9.0, calculate expected pH value after addition of 1 ml of 0.05 HCl.

Buffer: 4 ml of 0.01M Tris, pH 9.0
HCl: 1 ml of 0.05M HCl

Homework Equations

H-H: pH=pKa+log[A-]/[HA]

The Attempt at a Solution

9.0=8.21+log[A-]/[HA]
[A-]/[HA]=6.17

[A-]+[HA]=0.01M so, [A-]=6.17[HA], and 6.17[HA]+[HA]=0.01
7.17[HA]=0.01, so [HA]=.0013M
0.01-.0013=.0087M=[A-]

HCl: 1ml x 0.05M= 0.05mmols HCl

[A-]=.0087M x 4 ml= .0348mmol A-
[HA]=.0013M x 4 ml= .0052 mmol HA

Here's the part I'm unsure of:
If I plug these values into the Henderson-Hasselbalch, I'm going to get a negative value for the base part of the equation. I'm aware that this means that all of the base has been converted to the acid form, and that there is actually HCl left over that contributes to the pH. I'm just not sure how to calculate the pH from here, since the H-H equation can't be used.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your calculations were right - just from the excess HCl.

1. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is typically made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. How do I calculate the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([conjugate base]/[weak acid]). The pKa is the negative logarithm of the acid dissociation constant, and [conjugate base] and [weak acid] are the molar concentrations of the conjugate base and weak acid, respectively.

3. What happens to the pH of a buffer solution when HCl is added?

When HCl is added to a buffer solution, the H+ ions from the HCl will react with the conjugate base present in the buffer, shifting the equilibrium towards the formation of more weak acid. This will cause the pH of the buffer to decrease, but it will still remain relatively stable due to the presence of the buffer components.

4. How do I calculate the new pH of a buffer solution after adding HCl?

To calculate the new pH of a buffer solution after adding HCl, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation with the new concentrations of the buffer components. The new [conjugate base] will be the initial concentration minus the amount of HCl added, and the new [weak acid] will be the initial concentration plus the amount of HCl added.

5. Can the pH of a buffer solution ever change?

The pH of a buffer solution can change, but it will resist large changes due to the presence of the buffer components. However, if a large amount of acid or base is added, the buffer components may become depleted and the pH will change significantly.